Reputable
Apr 8, 2019
Specs:
GPU :Sapphire RX 570 4GB
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4 GB 2666MHz
PSU: EVGA 500B

I am planning on upgrading my CPU and I was thinking about either getting the Ryzen 5 3600 which is currently ~ £190 or the Ryzen 5 5600X at ~ £245.
The problem is, I don't plan on upgrading my GPU at the moment, but will likely do it next year when I have some more money saved. The 3600 is more "suitable" for my GPU since It will get bottlenecked less. Could I face problems if i get the 5600X? The price isn't an insane amount higher than the 3600, and I don't want to upgrade to the 3600 just to upgrade again when I get a new GPU (unless it combines well with the higher tier cards). However , I'm worried about the bottleneck and whether it has any detrimental effect on my PC parts/gaming experience.

Or I could just wait until I have enough to buy both CPU and GPU at the same time, but I do face some problems in games where my CPU is at 100% usage with GPU usage ranging between 0-100%, causing stutters, and even Discord to stop functioning well when I play games like Apex and R6 Siege.
Also Is my power supply enough to support the new CPUs and a suitable GPU for when/if I upgrade ?
Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
There is nothing wrong with having a CPU a bit more powerful than you GPU can take advantage of, especially when you have an upgrade planned. I would recommend a better quality PSU. The Evga 500b isn't very good. This one would be good. Superflower is the OEM for some of Evga's really good PSU's.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($80.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $80.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-26 08:58 EDT-0400

logainofhades

Titan
There is nothing wrong with having a CPU a bit more powerful than you GPU can take advantage of, especially when you have an upgrade planned. I would recommend a better quality PSU. The Evga 500b isn't very good. This one would be good. Superflower is the OEM for some of Evga's really good PSU's.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($80.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $80.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-26 08:58 EDT-0400

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GPU bound titles will basically stay the same performance regardless what CPU you get, best not to worry about it. That said, getting the fastest CPU for the socket, essentially, now, means you will be set until you feel the need to upgrade again to a DDR5 system.

For example, a game like CS:GO the faster CPU will help you a lot for minimum frame rates. Or any light graphics title. Online multiplayer games benefit from faster CPU cores, even if your average FPS doesn't improve, the minimums and lows will make it smoother.

I would go ahead and get the 5600x or maybe even 5800x if you had the cash. But honestly, I've got a 3600, which is the max my b350 board will take and it is a great cpu. So I say go ahead and pick up the 5600x, sell your 2200g, then start socking away money for when graphics card prices come down.

Reactions: helper800
Since your performance is not now what you want, it is time to consider how to fix it.

Before anything, I would think 8gb of 2666 speed ram is insufficient.
That alone might account for your current problems.

To verify that you would benefit from a cpu upgrade, try a couple of simple tests:
a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu. in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.

R5-3600 would be a decent cpu upgrade. The single thread performance is some 20% better than the 2200g and you get 12 threads which is sufficient for most any game.
The 5000 series like the 5600X have improved performance per clock.
It is so much faster(passmark 2054 vs. 3382) that if it is within your budget, buy the 5600x.
If you can and do not, you will forever be second guessing yourself.

If you determine that it is your graphics card that is the main limiter, good luck in finding something better.
Not only will a better gpu cost you a bunch, but you are going to also need a stronger psu.
And, a better quality unit also.

Things will change by the end of the year.
graphics supply will resolve itself.
Both Intel and AMD will have even stronger cpu, motherboard and ddr5 offerings.

If your needs are not that urgent, I would start by buying a supported 2 x 8gb ram kit
The fastest your current cpu and motherboard will support is 3200 speed.
Check the motherboard ram qvl list:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR#support-mem-13

Poking around, if you are on a budget and want something to get by, you could get the ram kit as suggested, grab a higher end PSU so you are prepped for a new card, and if intending to build later when new cpus and ddr5 arrive, you could grab a cpu like this one.

Used Ryzen 5 2600x for $125.00(if you are in the US, if not search around your area you may find a similar deal). Single core performance would probably be about on par with what you've got, but in multithreaded games, it would help out. Also, if you sold your 2200g, it looks like they are selling for about the same price. So you could basically upgrade for almost free. In the listing below, the seller should have cleaned off the cpu, but it gives an idea what is available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3040802541...sh=item46cc98749b:g:EQEAAOSwMcVg~NZ2&LH_BIN=1

The 3600 is more "suitable" for my GPU since It will get bottlenecked less. Could I face problems if i get the 5600X?
Don't get a CPU based on what's "balanced" with your video card. You should get the best thing you can afford. Even if the CPU is underutilized, that just means it'll last longer before the next upgrade cycle.

As for issues getting the 5600X, you'll probably have to update your UEFI firmware if you haven't already. However, note that the board is only good for up to PCIe 3.0 so you can't use PCIe 4.0 lanes the CPU provides. But I don't see that being much of a problem considering most video cards are still fine at PCIe 3.0 speeds anyway.

With regards to RAM, while the 3600 or 5600X has a sweet spot with DDR4-3200/3600, I'd argue you're not going to lose so much performance that it'll make an upgrade pointless. The way I see it, the CPU should be upgraded first, then the video card (whenever prices become sane again).

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Upgrade the RAM first to see if this helps with your issue. Ryzen loves great RAM. I've made two PC builds in the last year with that exact CPU and they haven't any issues that you're reporting but they do have much better ram and a better PSU than what you have. I honestly don't see an amazing need to upgrade your CPU or GPU at the moment with the times we are in unless you have money to splash, bide your time with the latter two components.