[SOLVED] Suggestions for getting internet by an outdoor closet with electrical subpanels in it?

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I have an outdoor closet on the other side of a room, and I installed a Rachio internet based sprinkler timer in it, and I need to use a device to connect to it to the internet.
I have been unable to get internet right by this closet with my new iPhone 12 Pro Max, two older iPad Pros, my Mac computer and an iPad. I can however walk much farther away from the closet (even further from the indoor router) and use the internet. I have both the 5.4GHZ and 2.7GHZ (I think thats what they are) signals set up and was unable to connect with either next to the outdoor closet. The router is inside the house on the second floor. Though it doesn't seem to be an issue of distance because like I mentioned, I can go much farther into my backyard even further from my router and use the internet.
  1. Is there something about the subpanels and electrical cables running in this closet that is interferring with the signal?
  2. Anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to get a signal in that location?
Thanks!

Solution
I ordered one. Thanks for the suggestion! Do I plug one of these into my main router and then the remote one in the closet I want the signal? Is that the setup?

Thanks again
You plug the unit without WIFI into the main router with an ethernet cable and then DIRECTLY into a wall outlet. You then plug the second unit into another outlet, I would recommend another indoor location for setup. I haven't used that specific model, so I can't comment on setup specifics.
The manual -- http://downloads.trendnet.com/TPL-430APK/manual/UG_TPL-430AP(v1.0R)_430APK(v1.0R).pdf looks pretty straight forward.

kanewolf

Titan
I have an outdoor closet on the other side of a room, and I installed a Rachio internet based sprinkler timer in it, and I need to use a device to connect to it to the internet.
I have been unable to get internet right by this closet with my new iPhone 12 Pro Max, two older iPad Pros, my Mac computer and an iPad. I can however walk much farther away from the closet (even further from the indoor router) and use the internet. I have both the 5.4GHZ and 2.7GHZ (I think thats what they are) signals set up and was unable to connect with either next to the outdoor closet. The router is inside the house on the second floor. Though it doesn't seem to be an issue of distance because like I mentioned, I can go much farther into my backyard even further from my router and use the internet.
  1. Is there something about the subpanels and electrical cables running in this closet that is interferring with the signal?
  2. Anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to get a signal in that location?
Thanks!
There is a lot of metal. That is what is preventing the WIFI signal. The good news is you must have AC power. You may be able to use powerline network hardware to get your network into the closet. Then put a WIFI access point in with the sprinkler timer. An ethernet cable would be a better alternative if you can get a cable into the closet.

Reactions: kathayes

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
For clarification, I am unable to get a wifi signal directly outside of the closet with my phone, iPad or MacBook Pro. Even with the closet door closed. I can get a connection as I walk away from the closet (further from the router). There is unfortunately no ethernet in the area to pull into this outdoor closet.

1. How is all of that stuff inside the closet interfering potentially with the signal?
  2. There is AC power in the closet. Are you saying that even with whatever interference that is somehow being created by the closet I can plug a powerline into the closet to get internet in it?
  3. Do I need a power line and a WiFi access point in this closet? I do not know anything about power line systems. I just need enough of a signal so that the sprinkler timer gets online (should not require much bandwidth at all).

Thanks!!

kanewolf

Titan
For clarification, I am unable to get a wifi signal directly outside of the closet with my phone, iPad or MacBook Pro. Even with the closet door closed. I can get a connection as I walk away from the closet (further from the router). There is unfortunately no ethernet in the area to pull into this outdoor closet.

1. How is all of that stuff inside the closet interfering potentially with the signal?
  2. There is AC power in the closet. Are you saying that even with whatever interference that is somehow being created by the closet I can plug a powerline into the closet to get internet in it?
  3. Do I need a power line and a WiFi access point in this closet? I do not know anything about power line systems. I just need enough of a signal so that the sprinkler timer gets online (should not require much bandwidth at all).
Thanks!!
Just like being inside a metal box, the signal can't penetrate through the metal in the electrial cables, and the panel itself. There could also be foil backed insulation that is interfering.
I don't know that power line networking will definitely work. BUT if you don't have any other option, then buying a set of AV2 powerline adapters is worth a shot. Buy from somewhere with a liberal return policy. If they don't work, return them. Some powerline adapters have WIFI built-in. For example -- https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Everywhere-Powerline-Dual-Band-TPL-430APK/dp/B01FXDVIHC/
Configure them in the house, then move the "remote" unit into the closet. See if you can get internet on a tablet in the closet. Set the SSID on the powerline to be unique so you KNOW you are connecting to the powerline adapters.

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
Just like being inside a metal box, the signal can't penetrate through the metal in the electrial cables, and the panel itself. There could also be foil backed insulation that is interfering.
I don't know that power line networking will definitely work. BUT if you don't have any other option, then buying a set of AV2 powerline adapters is worth a shot. Buy from somewhere with a liberal return policy. If they don't work, return them. Some powerline adapters have WIFI built-in. For example -- https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Everywhere-Powerline-Dual-Band-TPL-430APK/dp/B01FXDVIHC/
Configure them in the house, then move the "remote" unit into the closet. See if you can get internet on a tablet in the closet. Set the SSID on the powerline to be unique so you KNOW you are connecting to the powerline adapters.

I ordered one. Thanks for the suggestion! Do I plug one of these into my main router and then the remote one in the closet I want the signal? Is that the setup?

Thanks again

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks again
You plug the unit without WIFI into the main router with an ethernet cable and then DIRECTLY into a wall outlet. You then plug the second unit into another outlet, I would recommend another indoor location for setup. I haven't used that specific model, so I can't comment on setup specifics.
The manual -- http://downloads.trendnet.com/TPL-430APK/manual/UG_TPL-430AP(v1.0R)_430APK(v1.0R).pdf looks pretty straight forward.

Solution