[SOLVED] Suggestions for new PSU ?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
So i have had my eye on a corsair RM750x gold from newegg, sadly the one that is being sold by new egg them self is out of stock as of this moment, and the other companies or w/e is selling it with higher price.

I was wondering if i can get any recommendation on a gold rated power supply that is 750w, my budget is around 500 QR (my local currency) which is around 138$. I was looking at the Seasonic focus GX-750 gold read the reviews and most people are saying its a great power supply but am still not sure.
I am looking to order the power supply in the next 2 days maybe so i need to make up my mind about this.

Thank you for whoever replies.

Solution
As said above, even PSUs with better design and build quality from reputable OEMs or brands can and do fail. We don't know your current/future specs and whether you're going to use demanding components like 3000 GPUs or what minimum requirement is with your setup. If you have done research and/or calculations and you think a 750W unit would be sufficient I would get a good quality one.

The SeaSonic you mentioned and Lafong linked is a good quality unit.

You may also want to look into Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W. These are good units by CWT and these have 10 year warranty too. It is listed at $101 here on newegg, not sold by Newegg though. It's 100W more than what you mentioned but with that headroom in a few years...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As said above, even PSUs with better design and build quality from reputable OEMs or brands can and do fail. We don't know your current/future specs and whether you're going to use demanding components like 3000 GPUs or what minimum requirement is with your setup. If you have done research and/or calculations and you think a 750W unit would be sufficient I would get a good quality one.

You may also want to look into Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W. These are good units by CWT and these have 10 year warranty too. It is listed at $101 here on newegg, not sold by Newegg though. It's 100W more than what you mentioned but with that headroom in a few years (with the annual capacity loss that happens to all PSU) it would still be capable of handing whatever a brand new 750W unit can too. Tom's review of the 850W unit is here.

The 750W model is available too sold by Newegg at $99 on newegg here.

The RMx 750 is better in some aspects than the GF1 750W and I would get that too if it was availble at the price point you're looking for by the seller.

You might want to see input by others to make up your mind. Again, knowing your specs/parts would make it easier to suggest a proper unit based on your system's actual power requirement.

Solution

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019

You may also want to look into Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W. These are good units by CWT and these have 10 year warranty too. It is listed at $101 here on newegg, not sold by Newegg though. It's 100W more than what you mentioned but with that headroom in a few years (with the annual capacity loss that happens to all PSU) it would still be capable of handing whatever a brand new 750W unit can too. Tom's review of the 850W unit is here.

The 750W model is available too sold by Newegg at $99 on newegg here.

The RMx 750 is better in some aspects than the GF1 750W and I would get that too if it was availble at the price point you're looking for by the seller.

You might want to see input by others to make up your mind. Again, knowing your specs/parts would make it easier to suggest a proper unit based on your system's actual power requirement.

Well my currently specs are those:
CPU: i5-9600k Overclocked 5.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Black
Motherboard: Msi z370m Mortar
Ram: Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4 3200MHz 16 GB
Graphics Card: RTX 2080 Super EVGA

So far its highly unlikely for me to look into the 3000 series GPU's since its way too expensive and you can barely find any at MSRP sadly.
I was thinking about upgrading my CPU and mobo in the near future (maybe next year) but so far am looking to upgrade my PSU because of the gpu i have and my psu when i play really demanding games like god of war and dying light 2 i have heard crackling noise or w/e its called and am 100% sure its from the fan, though the currently PSU i have which is the supernova G2 650W has the eco mode and the fan doesnt spin until certain temps, if i play for example destiny 2 and such games my psu is fine until i run god of war or dying light that sound starts going up.

Also apricate the explanation given!

Mar 25, 2022
I recently switched from an 800 Watt BeQuiet that's been working for 10 years through 2 rigs. I learned that Quality > Wattage is even truer for my setup.

The amount of HD's/SSD/NVME storage crap was beginning to make the PSU make some alarming noises so I went out and got a PSU from closest store so limited options.

Got an EVGA 850 GQ and a Corsair CX650M. Tried both to check loads etc.

Turns out the 650 watt was the better option! The case was the real culprit, jumped on my local physical exchange market (Craigslist of France) and all my storage can breathe now! Modularity is lovely as well.

Seasonic and Corsair both make great PSU's, just don't overload a single rail and they should last a while, though even the best can fail at any time for no reason.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Well my currently specs are those:
CPU: i5-9600k Overclocked 5.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Black
Motherboard: Msi z370m Mortar
Ram: Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4 3200MHz 16 GB
Graphics Card: RTX 2080 Super EVGA

So far its highly unlikely for me to look into the 3000 series GPU's since its way too expensive and you can barely find any at MSRP sadly.
I was thinking about upgrading my CPU and mobo in the near future (maybe next year) but so far am looking to upgrade my PSU because of the gpu i have and my psu when i play really demanding games like god of war and dying light 2 i have heard crackling noise or w/e its called and am 100% sure its from the fan, though the currently PSU i have which is the supernova G2 650W has the eco mode and the fan doesnt spin until certain temps, if i play for example destiny 2 and such games my psu is fine until i run god of war or dying light that sound starts going up.

Also apricate the explanation given!

For these specs (with no intention to upgrade to a 3000 series) a good quality 750W PSU is enough. Although, on a side note, getting a 850W unit that can easily last 7-8 years would mean that if you later upgrade to more demanding CPU and GPU the PSU would still be usable and some head room wouldn't be bad anyway. Of course the choice is yours.

My personal first choice would be the Corsair RMx 750 too but you said it's not available to you with the price you'd like, then I would look into the SeaSonic Focus GX-750 gold you mentioned. The Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W I linked is a good unit too. If you decide on the Thermaltake ones just note that the GF1 series are better, I wouldn't get the PF1 series. GF1 are made by CWT I think and the PF1s are/were made by HKC. I wouldn't use most PSUs that are made by HKC.

You can see what 750W units are available to you at the price bracket you want and search for reputable review online ot ask here too. Others might have input too on what to buy or what not to buy.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
For these specs (with no intention to upgrade to a 3000 series) a good quality 750W PSU is enough. Although, on a side note, getting a 850W unit that can easily last 7-8 years would mean that if you later upgrade to more demanding CPU and GPU the PSU would still be usable and some head room wouldn't be bad anyway. Of course the choice is yours.

My personal first choice would be the Corsair RMx 750 too but you said it's not available to you with the price you'd like, then I would look into the SeaSonic Focus GX-750 gold you mentioned. The Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W I linked is a good unit too. If you decide on the Thermaltake ones just note that the GF1 series are better, I wouldn't get the PF1 series. GF1 are made by CWT I think and the PF1s are/were made by HKC. I wouldn't use most PSUs that are made by HKC.

You can see what 750W units are available to you at the price bracket you want and search for reputable review online ot ask here too. Others might have input too on what to buy or what not to buy.
Another question, the RM750X i was looking at is the 2018 version, there is the 2021 version but am not sure if its like the same or better or worse could you give me any explanation on that?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Another question, the RM750X i was looking at is the 2018 version, there is the 2021 version but am not sure if its like the same or better or worse could you give me any explanation on that?
IN your fist post you said RM750x. There is no RM750X i. There is RM750x and there is RM750i. In the RM750i user can choose to set to run the PSU 12V rail as multi-rail or single-rail. The RM750i or other "i" units have the Corsair link which can be connected to a USB header on motherboard and through which the user can monitor voltages and power in and power out and efficiency and fan speed and curve and such via software provided by Corsair.

Other difference is a physical fan test button on PSU which tells user if PSU turns on or not before being connected to a PC. Just plug PSU in AC outlet, flip the switch and press the "self test" switch, if fan starts spinning the PSU is good/working and not DOA.

If you meant the differnce between the RM750x 2018 and RM750x 2021 I don't think if there's any fundamental difference, they might have made some minor adjustments to efficiency etc. If I remember correctly the RM750x 2021 is made to work more efficiently at lower loads (less than 10%) which might happen when system is idle.

Again if memory serves the 2018 RM750x is quieter in terms of fan noise than the RM750x 2021 model/revision.

A the end of the day both have 10 year warranty so I wouldn't persoanlly really worry about getting either and get whichever is cheaper. Bottom line is the differences between the 2018 and 2021 units are not that large that would really matter or be noticeable to the end user for daily use.