Suggestions for New System

swintzten

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
Hey guys, I'm dipping my toe back into the building area after not having done one in about 7 years and running Alienware after Alienware.

The Threadripper has really caught my eye, also, that name is a great marketing choice.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: between now and the next few weeks

Budget Range: 2500?

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, minor dabbling in CAD and Revit

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everyrging

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: AMD, as mentioned im leaning towards Threadripper and as far as third party, Asus.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 4k

Additional Comments: I've really been liking all these "Tempered Glass" cases I've been seeing but haven't seen many in a full tower size, needing to make sure I don't have too small of a space for temps.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm tired of having big laptops that aren't really "laptops" that are a chore to move as well as wanting to get into Pc gaming more as opposed to
Console.

I hope I've done this correctly since it's my first post here, thanks for the help everyone.!

Solution
Love the threadripper name.

But, for gaming, you can not possibly effectively use all the threads it gives you.
Most games can effectively use only 2-3 threads, the faster, the better.

If you will be using a 4k monitor, you will want the current top of the line GTX1080ti.
To drive that beast, I would suggest the I7-7700K with an overclock.

Lesser cards will be happy enough with a lower performing ryzen processor.
Look at the list of games in this study. If they are like yours, you will find that a I7-7700K with 8 threads
wins every comparison with a 12 thread I7-7800X.
Mainly because of the faster single thread performance.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1445-core-i7-7800x-vs-7700k/

Still, it might be prudent to see what the Aug...

M04D18

Respectable
Jun 16, 2017
Threadripper will be an overkill for gaming system and to fit in a 2500 budget you have to sacrifice quality in other hardwares , a Ryzen will do the job you want. you can also wait new Intel's processors. My suggestion :
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($337.68 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($147.20 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($234.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($799.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cougar - Panzer Max ATX Full Tower Case ($141.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($113.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2483.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-15 21:49 EDT-0400

Love the threadripper name.

But, for gaming, you can not possibly effectively use all the threads it gives you.
Most games can effectively use only 2-3 threads, the faster, the better.

If you will be using a 4k monitor, you will want the current top of the line GTX1080ti.
To drive that beast, I would suggest the I7-7700K with an overclock.

Lesser cards will be happy enough with a lower performing ryzen processor.
Look at the list of games in this study. If they are like yours, you will find that a I7-7700K with 8 threads
wins every comparison with a 12 thread I7-7800X.
Mainly because of the faster single thread performance.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1445-core-i7-7800x-vs-7700k/

Still, it might be prudent to see what the Aug 21 coffee lake announcements bring.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS