Question Suggestions for replacing an Asrock x399 Phantom Gaming 6 motherboard

jttraverse

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
In the event my prayers don't bring this one back to life, I'd appreciate suggestions on a motherboard to replace my current one that I fear may have died.

What I have is an Asrock x399 Phantom Gaming 6 (used mainly for rendering with an AMD 16-core Threadripper cpu). I am considering simply replacing it with the same model, but I'd like to hear any recommendations that may be an improvement, perhaps with built-in WiFi and Bluetooth or whatever other niceties might be available nowadays.

As always, price is a big consideration, and I'd prefer something under $350 if possible (and new, if at all possible).

Thanks,
JT

You sure it's the motherboard?
Threadripper CPUs tend to die more often than others.

New motherboards within your budget are hard to find. Maybe the asrock x399 taichi
WiFi and Bluetooth included

But if you were satisfied with the phantom 6, get it again and buy a pcie wifi/bt card additionally

jttraverse

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
You sure it's the motherboard?
Threadripper CPUs tend to die more often than others.

New motherboards within your budget are hard to find. Maybe the asrock x399 taichi
WiFi and Bluetooth included

But if you were satisfied with the phantom 6, get it again and buy a pcie wifi/bt card additionally

You're right to ask about the CPU because no, I'm not sure it's the motherboard. I'm working through the options and the CPU is still one of them (and I originally got this one from someone who had been using it to mine bitcoin, so yeah, that probably worked it long and hard if he ran it 24x7)

It's odd to me though because while it seems like everything comes on, I get no post or beep or anything at all on my monitor. I've tested the graphics card in another pc and I know it's working. That said, this motherboard requires an external graphics card and I've read that the CPU has to communicate with the GPU, which I suppose might mean that if the CPU is bad then getting any display out of the card is moot. But I'd have expected that even with everything unplugged and only the CPU on the motherboard that I'd get at least a beep or some sign of the board trying to start up. But these days who knows, maybe a bad CPU can stop the beep/boot on this CPU/motherboard combination.

Thanks, any more thoughts will be appreciated!
JT