Suggestions for replacing my old Cisco SLM2048 switch

May 22, 2018
I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations for a great value replacement of my outdated Cisco SLM2048 switch

My current environment:
- Multi-level residential house
- Most rooms cabled with Cat-6 ethernet, brought back to central point in networking closet
- Internet: ADSL2+ (with usual speeds around 15-18Mbps down). Hoping to go to NBN when available.
- All data stored on existing QNAP TVS873 NAS with 1 x 10Gbps NIC
- 2 x Windows 10 PC's, each with 10Gbps NICs

I'm looking to:
- Replace the existing Cisco SLM2048 switch with a good quality and good value 48-port 1Gbps (including 2-4 10Gbps ports) managed switch
- Significantly increase data transfer rates between 2 x 10Gbps Win 10 PC's and QNAP TVS873 NAS
- At least maintain existing data transfer speeds across remaining Cat-6 ethernet network

I'd welcome any suggestions / recommendations?

Solution
The most cost effective solution is likely to buy a small switch with the 10gbit ports you need and then hook that to the larger switch for the machines that do not need the 10g speeds.

You might be able to directly plug the pc into the NAS 10g ports and then plug a second 1g port into the main network. It depends on how many ports your equipment has. This would in effect create a second storage network for those devices.

Be very careful when looking at the speeds on NAS. The bottle neck quickly moves from the network to the drives themselves. Most the performance numbers you see they are using SSD in RAID in both the end pc and the NAS. If for example you were to try to copy data from a simple single PC disk drive you find...
The most cost effective solution is likely to buy a small switch with the 10gbit ports you need and then hook that to the larger switch for the machines that do not need the 10g speeds.

You might be able to directly plug the pc into the NAS 10g ports and then plug a second 1g port into the main network. It depends on how many ports your equipment has. This would in effect create a second storage network for those devices.

Be very careful when looking at the speeds on NAS. The bottle neck quickly moves from the network to the drives themselves. Most the performance numbers you see they are using SSD in RAID in both the end pc and the NAS. If for example you were to try to copy data from a simple single PC disk drive you find in many machines you would still not get much over 1gbit. The drive in this case is limiting the transfer speed not the network. They also commonly test transferring 1 large file rather than many tiny random files.

Do the calculations for your disk systems and types of files you are coping to be sure it is worth the investment to go to 10gbit.

Solution