Question Suggestions for upgrade

Aug 7, 2020
Friends,

Joined today as I was looking for suggestions, I am a photographer & I need to upgrade my old PC, since these are tough times, I do not want to go for expensive setup, so just want to retain everything except ASUS P8Z68 Motherboard & Intel 2600 CPU, it is working fine but I feel the lag when I work on heavy files sometimes and I hope this is the relevant section

Want to Retain
8GB x 4 = 32GB DDR3 GSkill Ripjaws Ram's
Asus Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU
Corsair 650 PSU

Softwares
Photoshop
Aftereffects
CorelDraw
AutoCad
Lumion

Thanks

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Friends,

Joined today as I was looking for suggestions, I am a photographer & I need to upgrade my old PC, since these are tough times, I do not want to go for expensive setup, so just want to retain everything except ASUS P8Z68 Motherboard & Intel 2600 CPU, it is working fine but I feel the lag when I work on heavy files sometimes and I hope this is the relevant section

Want to Retain
8GB x 4 = 32GB DDR3 GSkill Ripjaws Ram's
Asus Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU
Corsair 650 PSU

Softwares
Photoshop
Aftereffects
CorelDraw
AutoCad
Lumion

Thanks

If you change Mobo & CPU, your RAM has to be changed as well, all the new parts now are DDR4, unless you can get used PC parts for a cheap price. Only your GPU and PSU can be retained.

If you decided to build a new PC, you may check out https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/systems.7/
If you still intend to keep the RAM and only upgrade Mobo and CPU, you may look into z170 mobo & Intel i7-7700

Aug 7, 2020
If you change Mobo & CPU, your RAM has to be changed as well, all the new parts now are DDR4, unless you can get used PC parts for a cheap price. Only your GPU and PSU can be retained.

If you decided to build a new PC, you may check out https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/systems.7/
If you still intend to keep the RAM and only upgrade Mobo and CPU, you may look into z170 mobo & Intel i7-7700

Thanks but I've already mentioned I don't want to go to DDR4 setup as I am on tight budget, just anything maximum which my DDR3 ram allows

Aug 7, 2020
Are you already using SSD ? that will give a improvement in load some heavy files than HDD.
and also if you want to keep the DDR3 RAM, the max thing you can go is H81 Mboard with i7-4790K. Not really a big improvement.

So you saying it will be another dead investment for sometime ??

Yes, am using SSD

What is your budget?

The strongest cpu upgrade available for your motherboard would be a i7-3770K.
It would represent about a 15% cpu performance upgrade.
They sell for $125 or so on ebay.
Because the K suffix processors are overclockable, you could do better.
Likely, you would need better than the stock intel cooler of you get into overclocking.

A motherboard that supports DDR3 is not likely to be a good buy new; it is no longer made.
Something on ebay is going to cost you perhaps $100.

Your i7-2600 has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 5236.
That is when all 8 threads are fully utilized. That might well be the case with your apps.
The single thread rating is 1735.

Using latest 10th gen processors might well be a better option, regardless.
A 2 x 16gb ddr4 ram kit costs about $100.
FWIW, you might fetch $100 selling your ddr3 kit on ebay.
A simple i3-10100 8 thread processor is about $130.
It has a passmark rating of 9063/2646.
A suitable B460 motherboard may be $75.
You can go up from there.

Can your apps use the CUDA compute cores of a nvidia card?
Perhaps it might be useful to trade out your graphics card.

How much Drive space are you using?
A SSD will be 4-7x faster than a HDD in sequential performance.
It will be some 40x faster in random performance.
The only negative to a ssd is the cost per gb.
Fortunately, that is going down.
Today, you can buy a quality 1tb ssd for $125.

Reactions: bRoWnBoYbAd

TRENDING THREADS