Question Suggestions needed on GPU upgrade.

razor1ster

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
Hey Guys.
So, after roughly 7 years, I decided its time to upgrade from good old Sandy Bridge i7 2600 (non-k). I currently have the 1060 6GB GPU and wonder whether an upgrade to RTX 2060 is required
I use a 60Hz 1080P Benq Monitor. Not sure whether I need to get a better 1080p monitor with a higher refresh rate like 144hz or get a better GPU at this point. Would be glad to have suggestions on the monitor upgrade as well.

New rig's config-
i5 9600K
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4
Crucial P1 1TB M2 SSD
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 2 x 8 GB 3000 Mhz Ram
Corsair AX-850 PSU
Antec Twelve Hundred Case
( PSU & Case from the old rig )

Thanks in advance.

If you want to spend the dosh, it's not a bad idea for a bit of future proofing (plus the RTX goodness :) )

However, at 1080p/60, the 1060 6gb is a great performer. I have one, and i run at 1080/75hz. It eats all games I throw at it on high/ultra settings at a steady 75hz/fps with no issues at all and hardly breaks a sweat. I play games like BF1/V - COD WWII/BO4, Project Cars 1/2 among a whole lot of others. The GTX1060 is a perfect card for 1080p.

For another year or two it will be just fine. IMO, it's not worth it for what you do. If you need to see the new reflections of Ray tracing/DLSS etc then an RTX is a good choice. If you don't need those detail settings, stick with what you have for now, and by the time it comes to really change, you will have much better options available. Your CPU is a great gamer, and even in two years will still power any single high end card out there. For now though you are good to go.

razor1ster

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
Not really adamant about playing on the best graphics quality available. I can wait for RTX until game devs force us to upgrade GPU. I guess I'll run 1060 with 9600k first and see if iv been bottlenecking it with the i7 2600 all this while.

Unless you really want to play Ray tracing Games, then only go for the RTX 2060. But that doesn't mean we can'y use this GPU to play other non-RTX games. Nope.

But, as you are still on 1080p, the GTX 1060 is also a perfect choice for this screen resolution, unless of course you need MORE performance in AAA games. But I would suggest you wait for next-gen NAVI cards to arrive, if you are interested in the RED TEAM.

Else, you can buy the RTX 2060, if you have the budget. But I think spending on an RTX GPU just to play few ray tracing games, isn't that much worth it (at least in my opinion).

IMO, apart from all the above factors, it seems we are basically paying an "early adopter" price for this new Turing tech/hardware, hence the premium. I know Nvidia has totally changed the GPU arch as well, with the addition of new RT and Tensor Cores, and other design/pipeline improvements (memory/cache) etc.

But to take proper advantage of this hardware, few games and software are currently out in the market. So basically the hardware won't get fully utilized (if we think from this perspective).

Also, how well some of the upcoming Games will actually perform on a TURING GPU, with Real time ray tracing and DLSS, still remains to be seen. I think it will take at least another 2-3 years for this whole RTX technology to become mainstream. As of now, few PC titles are going to take full advantage of this new RTX feature, provided Game developers also adopt and implement ray tracing, and DLSS deep learning AA in games as well.

Still, it's good to see new Tech being released. With time things might settle down a bit, and the performance gain might be there when DLSS and Ray Tracing features are enabled. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: razor1ster
Also, on a side note, and a bit of a tangent, but relative given the conversation. Your monitor is OC'able. I've a BenQ 1080/60 panel. It's running at 75hz flawlessly. You can OC it by using the Nvidia Control panel, under custom resolution. Give it a try. Although it doesn't seem like much of a bump, 75hz is a little smoother than 60hz and specially so for fast FPS games. You can use this: https://www.testufo.com/ to test it. But it's a nice free little bump if you wanna implement it. Of course, it voids the monitor warranty, and theoretically decreases the lifespan of the monitor from lets say 5 years to 4 years, but it's worth it for gaming alone.

Reactions: razor1ster

razor1ster

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
Also, on a side note, and a bit of a tangent, but relative given the conversation. Your monitor is OC'able. I've a BenQ 1080/60 panel. It's running at 75hz flawlessly. You can OC it by using the Nvidia Control panel, under custom resolution. Give it a try. Although it doesn't seem like much of a bump, 75hz is a little smoother than 60hz and specially so for fast FPS games. You can use this: https://www.testufo.com/ to test it. But it's a nice free little bump if you wanna implement it. Of course, it voids the monitor warranty, and theoretically decreases the lifespan of the monitor from lets say 5 years to 4 years, but it's worth it for gaming alone.
Dint know we could do that lol. Iv set it to 75. Btw, Scan type- Progressive/Interlaced? Currently its set to Progressive.
Thanks