Suggestions on a Heatsink and thermal paste

kratom420

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
So I'm interested in trying to overclock my E6580 past its stock 3ghz to give save from having to upgrade for now and help with some of my gaming needs (mainly FPS). I am looking for a heatsink thats got great price to performance ratio. Right now I'm looking at this [ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler] that seems to be popular with people on newegg and around the price I would like to spend. Are there better maybe even cheaper heatsinks than this one? and how important would it be to use aftermarket thermal paste as i have never bought a heatsink before nor do i know the right amount/method of applying it.

ww2003

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Depending on the Thermal past that comes with the Cooler.. After market past can make a difference of several degrees. As for what kind many people argue differences. I use artic Silver 5 but i also have a 200 hr set time before i will see full effects of it.

Best advice for thermal past study different type and some to a conclusion of what you believe is best because everyone has a difference of option.