Suggestions on a lightweight firewall for Windows 10??

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I am in need of a very lightweight firewall for Windows 10 to replace the windows firewall. On Windows 7, I used Comodo Internet Suite. It worked well but my PC was slow as heck and I believe Comodo may have been the cause so I am worried about reinstalling it now. It also seemed to be something that once you install it, its hard to get rid of it completely.

Currently, after doing a clean install of Windows 10, my PC is running smooth like a champ and I don't want that to change.

The 2 that keep coming up in my search is Zonealarm and Tinywall (the latter being the most lightweight.)

I am hoping some of you can tell me your experience with different free firewalls and how they affected windows 10 performance and maybe recommend something.

Also, I was planning to just use the windows built in virus protection but the 3rd party firewall unless anyone thinks thats a bad idea.

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Personally haven't had any problems with Windows Firewall since Windows 7. I tend to keep to mainstream websites though.

Avast is a very popular alternative. I still hear about Zone Alarm, but I remember that being popular in the dial-up days of the 90s, might just be momentum, not sure how good it is.

AVG and BitDefender are no longer free. I can't recall if Kapersky requires money now...

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

True I remember Zonealarm from WAY back in the 90s I think. I would be ok with Windows firewall if I had more control over it. I need to control my in and out traffic and although I see you can set up rules on it, it doesn't seem as easily accessible and user friendly as some of the others. Mostly the interface.

Avast I have heard of.. I am sure I used it before but honestly some of the programs all run together for me I think at one time I thought Avast and Comodo were the same thing. :)