Question Suggestions on CPU upgrade to Ryzen 5 5600/5600X from current Ryzen 2600 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

noro24

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016
Hello Guys!
Recently, my GTX 1080 GPU died, so I bought an RTX 3070 Ti at a good deal. However, I'm not sure if my current Ryzen 5 2600 will bottleneck my new GPU.

I'm thinking to buy a Ryzen 5 5600/5600X without changing my current Asus ROG Strix B450F Gaming motherboard. I'm just asking you guys shall just buy CPU only or CPU and Motherboard, and if so which one, any pocket friendly suggestion?

My current specs
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600
GPU - Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3070 Ti
RAM - 16GB (2 x 8) HyperX 3200Mhz
Storage 1 - 500GB Samsung SSD
Storage 2 - 1TB WB HDD
Display - Samsung 24inch Curved LED 144hz
PSU - Silverstone 750 watts Gold Plus
CPU Cooler - Deepcool LE500 240mm
Case - NZXT 500

Note : setup is used for normal gaming, such as Dota2, CSGO, COD, diablo, and also my current setup is in good condition.

Last edited:

popeyetyty

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Since you need a gpu, go ahead and buy the 3080.
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
You WILL do better, the question is by how much.
So, the term bottlenecking is usually used by people trying to say there is a "limiting factor somewhere" along the process.

Example: If you have an RTX 4080 Ti and a Ryzen 7 5700X3D, you will have a CPU limit at 1080p and, possibly, 1440p gaming as well. However, suppose you set the GPU to run at 4k or 8k. In that case, the GPU is going to have to render so many more pixels that the CPU will more efficiently keep up with its tasks, even though the load on the CPU has not exactly changed, and send the GPU the data it needs with less/minimal or no waiting around on the GPUs end. The CPU load reduces not because the CPU has fewer things it needs to process but because the CPU can now finish its workload before the GPU has completed its workload so that it can have a little breather. At the same time, it sits for the GPU to finish the remaining tasks it must complete for the CPU to put a load on the GPU.

Therefore, that is where the term bottlenecking comes in. At 1080p, the GPU will be so quick at rendering everything it needs that it then will sit waiting on the CPU to send it the tasks it needs to proceed, and in 4k gaming or 8k gaming, the GPU is no longer waiting. Instead, the CPU waits on the GPU to finish its tasks because those resolutions become more dependent on the GPU.

When people say there is no "bottlenecking," I think the better term is "you can not necessarily eliminate the effects of bottlenecking or a limiting factor (whichever suits you better)." To the best of my knowledge, it will either be the CPU limiting the GPU or the GPU limiting the CPU. The best outcome is having the GPU limit the CPU, but you also do not wanna pair a high-end CPU with a low-end GPU because the cost-effectiveness is not quite as good. You are overspending just to be GPU-limited. The only time something like that is okay is if you are not solely gaming, but even then, the more productivity CPUs are not always as good as a less productivity CPU for gaming (look at the 7800X3D and the 9950X or Threadrippers). The 7800X3D is one of the best gaming CPUs on the market if not the best, and its productivity capabilities are alright; however, it does not come close to that of the 9950X... and then on the flip side, the 9950X does not come close to the 7800X3D's gaming capabilities.

Last edited: