Question Suggestions on Gigabyte B550M S2H?

Oct 29, 2019
I am considering to build a ryzen 3 3300x on a b550 motherboard so that I can utilise its pci gen 4 for a faster m.2 storage, I came across this b550m s2h but I am not sure about its performance, any ideas guys or should I consider a different mobo?

For the Ryzen 3, it's probably ok, but it's still a VERY cheap, no frills, bottom of the barrel type motherboard. If you think there might be ANY chance you'll want to upgrade the CPU model to a higher tiered CPU down the road, then I would completely avoid this board.

Doesn't have a great VRM configuration to start with. Has no VRM heatsinks. Chipset heatsink is an afterthought. Honestly, it's a very poor choice. And, I don't even see it for sale through any of the PCPP vendors for the US or UK in any case, which doesn't tell me it's something that retailers are optimistic about selling.

What case are you using, so that we know what form factors it will support. Sticking with micro ATX is fine if you have to because of the case, but not so great if you don't have to and can run a more fully featured ATX board instead. Although, the micro ATX boards do tend to offer some cost savings versus full ATX.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I have Gigabyte B550M S2H for couple of days now. Its a entry lv MB with entry lv components (realtek lan & basic audio codec...) and B550 chipset. It supports ECO future (which sets DTP to 45W) and its very useful when you want a quiet rig. While heatsink is present it's a basic one but on the other hand B550 is more efficient than B450 so it's suficit... In short it's a good strictly basic MB (in every way) but it represents a great value. Unfortunately most B450 MB's in the same price bucket (aka "gaming" models) actually don't offer anything more just bunch of fancy things you won't really have any use from (plastic, heatsinks, plates & toxic waist). The pricier one's do come with better voltage regulation, Intel lan and a better audio codec. From which only the Intel lan is worth the money. Is it worth it? No absolutely not! The B550 actually have chipset futures you just might use & it's much more future proof & it's not blotted with extensive previous generation CPU support (support starts with R3 3100). As it is with cheap MB's this is a generic reference design & it has it's almost identical twins. For Instance ASRock B550 HDV & probably one from ASUS as this day's even they still are different OEM's the manufacturing is done in shared fabs.
In short its perfectly fine MB for a basic use & price extras for futures you won't use & most of the time are gimmick are simply not worth it. It's always a better path to buy exactly what you really need.

Nov 21, 2020
I got the next one up, the B550M DS3H as it has more RAM slots, a second full-size PCI-E slot and looks a little bit nicer, visually. The price difference was minor, and it has better specs than their basic "gaming" model, which is more gimmicky. I've been tweaking it and get just as good benchmark results as anyone else, with a US$100 board. Might not last as long, but with a low TDP and a high air-flow case, I think it will be fine, am not planning on running it for ten years.