bowtye

Prominent
Sep 17, 2018
Hey everyone. So long story short, for the past year or so I've been noticing my monitor has been starting to show it's age and starting to die. It's showing a lot of ghosting whenever I scroll on a webpage that has text. Or whenever I move a players head in a racing game I'll notice some ghosting there as well. So I've been doing a lot of looking around at monitors and I can't exactly pick one. I Was wondering if I could get some suggestions on some? OH, I checked out the thread titled "Looking to buy a monitor? Start here!" and I will be filling out the questionnaire to help you guys out. Thanks for your help.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? Canada/North America

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.) Gaming (Simulators i.e, Flight Simulator, American Truck Simulator, Far Cry.) Watching tv shows, twitch streams, and movies and school work.

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? Preferably 2560x1440, 32" Minimum 27"

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.) See this is where I run into a problem, I don't know what refresh rate would be adequate for the games I play. I mean, I play on a 1080p monitor now capped at 60. I don't play games competitively, nor do I play any FPS games, so for racing games I would be assuming 120 hz would be an adequate area to aim for?

5. How much are you looking to spend? Least is always best for me, but arguably no more than 5 or 600 Canadian.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. ) Don't have a specific favourite brand, As long as it's good I'll be happy.

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why) Again don't have any hated brands.

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? No, just one.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? My GPU can run 3 4k monitors easily. Would lag a bunch (probably) but it can support it. Card is a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition 11G. Driver version 430.39

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). DP - Display Port

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? NO

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Whats the problem :D
By any monitor your eyes dont get upset with, and it will work ;)

First however you must decide your budget.
Then try fit the monitor you want into that budget.

That will quickly get you some pointers.

bowtye

Prominent
Sep 17, 2018
Problem was mentioned, I'm getting terrible ghosting, i.e, whenever I'm playing games if i turn my characters head in game and i drive past say.. a hydro pole, the shape of the hydro pole remains for a second, or whenever i scroll through text web pages the outline of the text remains for a second than it will disappear.

I have mentioned my budget in the questions answered.. take a look at number 5...

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Ahh - 600 canadian yen.
You are messing with lazy characters in your games ...

Try a look on a fast update monitor then, it will have lesser tendency to ghosting storage on the screen.
The common figure I believe is 5mS, but you can get them down to 1mS as I've seen. Maybe even less.
What I dont know however, is that the graphics card itself may be part of that particular problem.

DP was the highrunner years ago, but it is surpassed by the much more common standards HDMI and DVI-D, HDMI taking the lead now (at least in my neck of the woods).
If you opt for the highest possible resolution, you need to take a close look on each monitors ability on each standard fitted.
Note however that resolution is closely related to fps, as high resolution and high fps demands very high data rates, i.e. bytes pr second.
Often you will have to make a trade off on either figure, to opt for a payable monitor.
What is you graphics cards ability ?
Use that as your startpoint.

As for screen size, I personally find the 24" best. The 27" size I begin to lose oversight on the game arena, as my head has to move faster and much more up/down and sidewards to follow the game.
It only worsens with larger monitors.

At 66 I can tell you its a hard time going to bed with a sore neck from gaming ... :D

Hope this was a starter.
Its a popular issue, I expect more and better contributions to your questions.

bowtye

Prominent
Sep 17, 2018
Lol, yes, the dreaded Canadian yen, or Canadian rupee :tearsofjoy: I'm unsure what you mean by a "Fast update monitor" I think you mean the refresh rate. If that's what you meant than yes, 5 millisecond would probably be the highest I would go, again, a lower refresh rate would be better of course, but that comes with a higher price tag commonly. My graphics card is not a problem, it's a liquid cooled 1080ti, I've never heard of ghosting being a problem with the card but more so with the monitor. Unless your talking about screen tearing, but that's not what is going on Kaehligi. I can promise you that. There's a difference from ghosting and screen tearing. I've witnessed both, and this is ghosting.

Display port or the abbreviated term DP, is the front runner as it can carry more bandwidth, has a higher performance capability than its predecessors HDMI & VGA. In order to carry higher resolutions and higher refresh rates you need to run DP as HDMI is only capped to 60 hz. I don't know where you live but HDMI is far far outdated same with DVI.

My graphics card can quite easily run 3 4k monitors like I mentioned in my first post. And as for screen size, I have lived with a 24" for the past 5 or 6 years now and I feel like I would like a bigger monitor in size. 27"'s minimum but i would like a 32" preferably. If you take a look at the games that I mentioned that I play you will see that I don't play games that have an "Arena" nor do i really have to move my physical head, with a 32" monitor, I had to move my head maybe 2 inches when i had my television set up briefly, but than again I'm not playing continuously over hours. So I don't get neck strain. I play games where my head is in the drivers seat, in a fixed position. (Look at the #4 in the questionnaire)

Thanks for literally not helping at all.

bowtye

Prominent
Sep 17, 2018
I'm basically asking the community as a whole, what refresh rate would be adequate for said games that I play, and for watching tv shows/ Twitch Streams.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
You want DP for the highest BW.
You want 1ms refresh rate.
You have adequate graphics card capability.
You want 32" monitor.
You have gamers equipment.

Whats the fuzz ? Just buy what you want, you have already spec'ed it ;)
I hope you will get more replies as there are different opinions on whats best for game one and whats best for game two.

This is not an exclusive gamers forum, this is an open hardware/software forum, and as such I do my humble contributions to at least put some colours on the palette.
If you dont like those colours, fine with me, I am not a painter.

If you want narrow insight gamer only replies, then I belive you could be better of, joining an exclusive gamer forum, where you wont find my type of Gits, excuse me young man :unsure:

bowtye

Prominent
Sep 17, 2018
I appreciate you're contribution, but please before you make a comment, read what I have mentioned. As stated, I am asking the community what refresh rate would be adequate for what I would be doing with said monitor. And I am fully aware that this is a hardware forum, hence why i am asking for monitor advice, not gaming advice. I have never once mentioned anything about games, other than giving an example of the games I play so the community has an example to base off of. As in you need higher refresh rates for FPS games.

As for buying what I want? I think if you do recall that is literally the main reason why I made a post. I was asking the community for advice because I don't know what to purchase. Pardon me, it sounds like you might be living 10 years back. And have literally zero knowledge. I have just educated you after every post/reply you have made.

So If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you would not reply any further as you are literally no help at all.

P.s. with that link, you have answered my assumption that you have not even listened to a word I've typed because I put a budget in my main post, and all of those monitors in that list all surpassed my budget.