Suggestions on my first build Please !! (850 US)

ingmiguelgonzalezjr

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Kind First Post ( made 1 before but it was really bad :) )

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks
BUDGET RANGE: (US $ 850)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: CAD ( and similar softws), Gaming (sports games mostly), Surfing, etc... (NO Photoshop or softwares like that)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: HDD, Mice, Keyboard, Monitor, Optical device... ( What really need is CPU, MoBo, Memory, GPU & PSU... :) )

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: AMAZON, NEWEGG, PROVANTAGE.....

PARTS PREFERENCES:
I've read that Intel's performance is better and i've have always used Intel in the past, but because of my budget I'am starting to think in AMD maybe Phenom II x64 955 ( i've read nice things about it). Since i'am going in the AMD route i already though in Sapphire 4870 1GB for my video card.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes ( i dont know how to OC, but i'am starting to read)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire Yes ( like 3 months after getting my 1st GPU. 2nd GPU not in Budget)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440 x 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I know that maybe for my use a 955 could be too much but i want this one to last at least 18 months... searching for a very very stable system...

OS: Planning to use XP, then i'am going to jump to W7... dont like vista...

Need your opinion in every single detail that you think could be usefull !!!

----------------------------------------------------

This is what i've found ( can be changed to suggested)

PSU : CORSAIR 750w TX
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000X2677A/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 1333MHz 240-pin DDR3 ( advice on DDR2 or DDR3 )
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0014BOQ54/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 HDZ955FBGIBOX 3.2 GHz/6 MB L3/125W Processor
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00275G0VE/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Mobo: i have problems here so no suggestions.....:(

Graphic Card: Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-HD4870-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B001J6FS3I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243988634&sr=8-2

HDD: Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM with 16MB Cache 3Gb/s OWNED (i know a 32MB cache would have been better, but someone gave me those so...)

-------------------------------------------------------
If you think that a Intel Based PC can be budget/performance competitive with this on please tell me!!!

Help me with all you can.. this is my first build and i dont know much of this so please make suggestions....

From Dominican Republic... if my english is not that good please understand me :).....

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Looks good so far, although I personally am not a fan of the PII 955. Its the same chip as the 940 basically, but it has a slightly faster bus and higher stock voltage. The 940 overclocks better from what I have seen, and its much cheaper. The only difference is DDR3 vs DDR2, and at this point in time, DDR3 makes almost no difference in benchmark comparisons. I would suggest getting an AMD Phenom II X4 940 and the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard. Get affordable DDR2 1066 ram and then put the savings into a faster GPU.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Gaming-probably the 4gb DDR2-1066, but it wouldn't really matter too much
CAD-8gb DDR2-800

For the socket, yes there is a little bit of a future for AM2+, but honestly unless you get a new processor every 18 months or so, there isn't much point in getting an AM3 socket for "upgradability" because in two years there will be a new chipset and possibly a new socket too for the processors that come out then. A motherboard bought today will almost certainly bottleneck processors to come out two years from now, and you will want to buy a new motherboard anyways.

beef1218

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

xthekidx, I am building my first desktop too here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=266230&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Your comments about AM3 and DDR2 made me realize that I should switch to AM3/AM2+ MB with DDR2 to save money.
Thank you!

ingmiguelgonzalezjr

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

----

Thanks for the advise.... AM2+ & DDR2 is going to be my route...

One more thing you recomended me the Gigabyte Mobo GA-MA790X-UD4P, it is really nice, but what can you tell me about the GA-MA790fxt-ud5p. I know is more expensive but i dont know its performace/stability VS. the A-MA790X-UD4P

Thanks for all suggestions!!

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
The difference is the chipset (as well as one is DDR3, the other DDR2 support). As far as stability goes, they are probably about the same. The difference is that the UD5P is a 790FX instead of 790X, which means it has 4 PCIe X16 slots (to allow for potentially 4 GPU's in crossfire) and it also allows you to crossfire two GPU's at full x16 bandwidth instead of x8 bandwidth on the UD4P. However I think that the 790FX chipset is a waste, unless you have some very high end graphics cards in your system. the difference between crossfire at x8 and x16 bandwidth is maybe 1-2% faster, and you wouldn't notice it unless you had two 4870x2's in your system in a quad-fire configuration. The UD5P is a better motherboard, but not worth the price increase IMO. I think the UD4P motherboard is the best board for a Phenom II build with a lower budget.

ingmiguelgonzalezjr

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

THANKS AGAIN...

ingmiguelgonzalezjr

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Thanks Xthekidx for the advices & beef for your opinion, if any change is made will post it in other thread. I'am finally clear and willing to buy the items soon. I'll post some results when i finish the buiulding process.

Keep helping others, Thanks!

Mike

TRENDING THREADS