Suggestions on transporting system via plane?

Ledus

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
This might also sound like a bit of a loaded question but I would like to know if anyone here has any suggestions on transporting a computer abroad. I'll be flying across the Atlantic, to Cali for college and would like to bring the computer that I built in September, last year.

It's a pretty powerful computer overall and I think it would be a waste to not bring it. (It has a GTX 780, i54670k and what not).

I have a corsair 650D, which is quite a large case and heavy when all parts are installed, so I think I may have some issues with in terms of weight limit and what not.

I've been reading that it is possible to ship it over through a parcel service, such as UPS. However I'm not sure if I'll have to pay any sort of tax on top.
I think the best solution in my case would be to try to carry the more expensive components such as the Graphics card, CPU, Ram and hard drives(two SSD's and a HDD). I could put them into a box and cover them up with ton's of bubble wrap and try to take it as cabin baggage. I don't think I'll be able to do this with other components such as the motherboard, water cooler, power supply and of course the case. However computer components cost a very decent amount less in the US than Europe(especially, the UK) so I could simply buy the remainder there.

So do you guys think this is a good solution and what are your suggestions?

Also: As I will need to buy a mobo, does the i5 4670k fit into the socket of the new Z97? I could just stick with the Z87 as they are cheaper and I doubt I will be doing or needing any of the newer features of a Z97 board what from I would plan to buy(MSI z87-gd 65). A recommendation on a case would also be nice.

norberto950

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I think it would be a good idea to ship your case, mobo, and water cooler and carry your graphics card, CPU, RAM, and SSD/HDD. That way, you'd only have to pay for the case/mobo/cooler if something were to happen during the shipping process. It would be a lot cheaper to ship them than to buy new ones. As far as I know, you wouldn't have to pay taxes since you're not selling them. However, you should do some research on that first. Here is a calculation tool for UPS shipping rates.