Question Suggestions on upgrade? (Its time!)

286-10MFM40MB

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Right now I have a Gigabyte Gaming 5 and i7-6700K , SSD. System is 5 years old and running perfect. But I checked the passmark score and its around 9000. The fastest system in the database is 88,000! AMD EPYC7763 which cost thousands.

Im looking for CPU's costing a couple hundred or so that will be at least double what I have now.

Any suggestions?

My Gigabyte board has been ROCK solid! Should I get another Gigabyte? Should I consider AMD?

Any suggestions helpful and this decision is just starting out

Your motherboard can support a i7-7700K which is perhaps only 10% more capable.
Intel 11th gen and ryzen 5000 series can have twice your capability for apps that can fully occupy all threads. For gaming, you are looking at a more modest single thread boost in the order of 25%.
on an upgrade, you will also need to upgrade the motherboard and perhaps ram.
A modest upgrade might be the 12 thread i5-11400.
Here is a review:

Regardless, I would wait a couple of weeks for the intel 12th gen launch.
Leaked performance is impressive.
But, be prepared for shortage of supply and scalper bots.

286-10MFM40MB

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
hi guys thanks for the suggestions I will go thru every one. I am in USA and have no real "budget" so to speak yet just getting a feel for what I can get that I will actually feel the difference. I really dont do gaming but sometimes video editing is slow. If I record a bunch of video of an event, and edit it, everything is slow including compiling the finished product. Other than that just looking for general snappiness like when I went to SSD

I have read about NVmE SSFD being faster than what I have now Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Vid Card : ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 1GB GDDR5

For personal or professional use? Do you have a particular software of choice?
At what resolution and framerate do you record? And are we talking cutting several short Brolls for a 5-10 minute Youtube video or reviewing long 20/30mins+ footage to compile into hour long movies?

Depending on your answer, you may be able to keep your current GPU or potentially require to update it.

Also, it would be nice to know your RAM config and PSU as these components may be affected by the upgrades.

I know it's a lot of questions, but your needs will dictate the suggestions.

hi guys thanks for the suggestions I will go thru every one. I am in USA and have no real "budget" so to speak yet just getting a feel for what I can get that I will actually feel the difference. I really dont do gaming but sometimes video editing is slow. If I record a bunch of video of an event, and edit it, everything is slow including compiling the finished product. Other than that just looking for general snappiness like when I went to SSD

I have read about NVmE SSFD being faster than what I have now Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Vid Card : ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 1GB GDDR5
Run this and post a LINK to the results.
PC Benchmark
That will give a look under the hood.

286-10MFM40MB

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Just to recap:
Gigabyte GA-170N Gaming 5 Rev 1.0
Intel i7 6700K 8M
Corsair Vengeance 8G DDR4 (2x total 16Gig)
ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 1GB GDDR5
SilverStone Mini ITX small case

I dont do gaming however I would run a Flight Sim

Just was editing some 4k drone video, and it is quite slow! Compiling is a walk away come back later issue!

So video editing large 3gig files is the issue that slows it down the most.

I know this board supports NVmE SSD and I am running a Samsung SATA SSD. But I dont think switching to NVmE would make a huge differnece and as someone mentioned above, ths board doesnt have much headroom to upgrade the CPU.

If NVmE makes a huge difference, then I should get a board that supports that and the latest(?) CPUs, go to a 1TB NVmE primary drive, and the most CPU I can reasonably afford.

As to the GPU, does that impact the compiling speed of a 4k video or is that work all done by the CPU?

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Just to recap:
Gigabyte GA-170N Gaming 5 Rev 1.0
Intel i7 6700K 8M
Corsair Vengeance 8G DDR4 (2x total 16Gig)
ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 1GB GDDR5
SilverStone Mini ITX small case

I dont do gaming however I would run a Flight Sim

Just was editing some 4k drone video, and it is quite slow! Compiling is a walk away come back later issue!

So video editing large 3gig files is the issue that slows it down the most.

I know this board supports NVmE SSD and I am running a Samsung SATA SSD. But I dont think switching to NVmE would make a huge differnece and as someone mentioned above, ths board doesnt have much headroom to upgrade the CPU.

If NVmE makes a huge difference, then I should get a board that supports that and the latest(?) CPUs, go to a 1TB NVmE primary drive, and the most CPU I can reasonably afford.

As to the GPU, does that impact the compiling speed of a 4k video or is that work all done by the CPU?
Compiles depend on the CPU.
Video editing is mostly CPU,but can utilize GPU for specific things.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For a significant upgrade, probably looking at a used GTX 1060 or a new GTX1650. RX570/RX580 perhaps. The latter being a significant uptick in power requirements. Beyond that, getting a retail price RTX3060 would be pretty decent.

GTX1050 and GTX1050Ti are upgrades, but probably not worth the cost compared to spending a little more.

286-10MFM40MB

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Hi Guys this should answer most questions. Looks like the GPU is weakest and the CPU (surprisingly!) is weak on multi tasking.

PSU - Seasonic SS-400FL2 fanless 400W

UserBenchmarks: Game 18%, Desk 78%, Work 15%

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 71.4%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750-Ti - 17.9%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 68.5%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB - 74.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Desktop 5TB - 34.5%
HDD: Seagate ST5000LM000-2AN170 5TB - 28.7%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 C14 2x8GB - 53.2%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

Overall this PC is performing way below expectations (14th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 86 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas.
ProcessorWith a good single core score, this CPU can easily handle the majority of general computing tasks. Additionally this processor can handle very light workstation, and even some very light server workloads. Finally, with a gaming score of 72.9%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is good.
Graphics17.9% is a below average 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can handle older games but it will struggle to render recent games at resolutions greater than 1080p. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics)
Boot Drive70.3% is a good SSD score. This drive enables fast boots, responsive applications and ensures minimum system IO wait times.
Memory16GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's more than sufficient for nearly all games. 16GB also allows for very large file and system caches, software development and batch photo editing/processing.
OS VersionWindows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you aren't running your memory at the rated speed, so that is a big factor in the CPU and Memory metrics there. Guessing the CPU isn't overclocked either, and many people with 6700k will have done so, and likely have memory at 2666 or 3000. That easily explains the discrepancy.

Hasn't really changed the recommendations listed here. You can hold out for what 12th gen brings and pay a little more, or pick up a cheaper 10th gen system if you want. 11th gen is probably going to retain its current pricing if the past is anything to go by.

AMD 5000 series is still a little overpriced, there aren't any budget chips, just the high end ones.

I would just start shopping for a GPU you think you can afford, getting one is the hardest part. And you nothing stopping you from installing it in your current system, other than the small power supply.

Hi Guys this should answer most questions. Looks like the GPU is weakest and the CPU (surprisingly!) is weak on multi tasking.

PSU - Seasonic SS-400FL2 fanless 400W

UserBenchmarks: Game 18%, Desk 78%, Work 15%

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 71.4%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750-Ti - 17.9%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 68.5%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB - 74.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Desktop 5TB - 34.5%
HDD: Seagate ST5000LM000-2AN170 5TB - 28.7%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 C14 2x8GB - 53.2%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

Overall this PC is performing way below expectations (14th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 86 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas.
ProcessorWith a good single core score, this CPU can easily handle the majority of general computing tasks. Additionally this processor can handle very light workstation, and even some very light server workloads. Finally, with a gaming score of 72.9%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is good.
Graphics17.9% is a below average 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can handle older games but it will struggle to render recent games at resolutions greater than 1080p. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics)
Boot Drive70.3% is a good SSD score. This drive enables fast boots, responsive applications and ensures minimum system IO wait times.
Memory16GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's more than sufficient for nearly all games. 16GB also allows for very large file and system caches, software development and batch photo editing/processing.
OS VersionWindows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.
Run UBM again but this time reboot and wait 5 mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page do not copy and post stuff.

286-10MFM40MB

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Interesting, I just jumped into BIOS and the memory speed is 2133 and it wasnt totally obvious how to try your two higher speeds of 2666 and 3000. This board doesnt allow to upload pics or I would attach that page of the bios. I'd like to try upping memory clock speed and overclock the CPU, (as long as the system stays rock solid)

EDIT: after more reading on here, learned a few things - I may not have the cooling headroom to up the CPU (small mini-ITX case, in a cabinet, runs warm). also the Gigabyte "auto" overclock might add too much voltage making the heat worse

BUT, I wonder about upping the memory clock, is that tied to the CPU speed? I'll have to find out more on that.

This would be be short term anyway until the upgrade.

As to tasks, opening some big spreadsheets could be snappier and certainly editing video. For example I was working with some huge 4k drone video from a DJI drone using AVS and it pretty much choked on the 4k source files... :oops:

Well, you aren't running your memory at the rated speed, so that is a big factor in the CPU and Memory metrics there. Guessing the CPU isn't overclocked either, and many people with 6700k will have done so, and likely have memory at 2666 or 3000. That easily explains the discrepancy.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Xtreme Memory Profile should be a selection for the loaded defaults on your memory modules. You have DDR4 2400, not likely to run at 3000 without some serious manual tweaking, 2666 would also require manually setting everything.

There should be an entire section just for the memory. Advanced Memory, Memory Enhancement Settings, and a whole lot more. The two main components are the CPU and Memory, practically half the bios dedicated to each.

286-10MFM40MB

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
OK well it's a good thing I havent decided anything. Windows 11 apparently doesnt support my CPU (i7-6700K) although I did read that turning on some security features in BIOS can change this possibly. More reading that Win11 looks for a bunch of on-cpu security activity and that drags down performance. So this next build should really have a lot of headroom. Win10 will be supported until 2025 so there is time.

Also I want to look at hard drive transfer speeds, looking for the very fastest not just loading programs (main drive will be NVMe), but for example when backing up the SATA storage drive. No idea of there is much difference between SATA speeds from one board or chipset to the next?