Feb 25, 2019
Currently I have an AMD FX 6300 and a GTX 960 graphics card. I also have a SSHD with 1TB and 24 GB of ram. I don't want to spend too much more on my pc, or I want to sell my parts as well. I don't know how to sell parts that well. Could somebody guide me as to how I would upgrade my pc in the cheapest manner possible (under 500$) while being able to play any vr game? I only really want to play beat saber with no lag, but if I can get games such as lone echo and skyrim to work at 90fps even at low settings I'd be happy.

WildCard999

Titan
You'd need to replace your CPU/MB/RAM & GPU for VR, this would be the "cheapest" I'd go with for VR. This also means reusing your current Case/Storage & PSU (make sure this is a good quality unit).
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $514.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-25 23:34 EST-0500

By the way, lightly graphic modded Skyrim in VR is absolutely amazing!

Feb 25, 2019
You'd need to replace your CPU/MB/RAM & GPU for VR, this would be the "cheapest" I'd go with for VR. This also means reusing your current Case/Storage & PSU (make sure this is a good quality unit).
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $514.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-25 23:34 EST-0500

By the way, lightly graphic modded Skyrim in VR is absolutely amazing!
Why would I need to upgrade to that processor if the one I have can run 6 cores at 4.1GHz overclocked? Is there a reason for switching to AM4? Also, I would prefer keeping my ram as idk how to sell that well and the more parts I can keep the better. Could I just upgrade to a better AM3+ cpu?

WildCard999

Titan
Why would I need to upgrade to that processor if the one I have can run 6 cores at 4.1GHz overclocked? Is there a reason for switching to AM4? Also, I would prefer keeping my ram as idk how to sell that well and the more parts I can keep the better. Could I just upgrade to a better AM3+ cpu?
You can't just look at the speed and amount of cores, the AMD Ryzen CPU's are much faster performance wise.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-FX-6300/3955vs1555

While your CPU "might work" I can ensure you the experience won't be smooth.

WildCard999

Titan
So if I were to upgrade anything first, should it be the CPU or GPU? Or are they both equally important?
There both important but if money is tight then run the SteamVR performance test. Your looking at the FPS below 90 which need to be avoided as that will cause motion sickness. As an example I just did the test with my system which is the same as I recommended.

pXTCBVW.png