[SOLVED] Suggestions to this Upgrade

AP911

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Hey Guys, so I've decided to upgrade my PC in the following week(It is my Primary PC and I use it for Gaming too). My budget's $920(inclusive of 18% tax). I'm upgrading everything OTHER than the GPU 'cause I upgraded it from GTX 770 to GTX 1070 last year. I've already decided the parts but I'd like your suggestions/advice on it. I do have a 1080p 144Hz Monitor already, and I'm hoping that the new build can deliver the same performance. Obviously not at Full Ultra considering I have a 1070, but I'm hoping to get the performance at High or Very High.

My Current Build:
Processor: Intel i5 4670k
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
RAM
: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz
PSU: Antec 750W Non-Modular

My Planned Build with Price:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3700x ------> $417.28
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X ------> $219.25
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz ------> $110.16
PSU: 650W Modular(brand not decided) ------> $84.87
Case: Mid Tower ------> $60~$90

I did consider going for the Intel 9700K, but I'm skeptical whether LGA 1151 Chipset will continue forward, and during the time of the next upgrade I'll have to buy a new motherboard again. Also, its more expensive than the 3700X.

Thanks!!

Solution
For strictly gaming you aren't going to see much of a performance difference between a 3700X and a 3600 so you could save money there.

Unless you really need a x570 feature, save the money and get either a B450, X470 or wait for the B550 boards. PCIE4 wont do anything for you gaming wise. (most 2000 mobos have updated BIOSs and if you are worried just get one of the mobos that support BIOS update with a CPU installed like the MSI Tomahawk.)

As far as Intel vs AMD, right now AMD is a better price to performance, with Intel squeezing just a little ahead in performance but IMO not enough to justify the price. AMD will probably be ending its support for their current socket towards the end of next year so both Intel and AMD are on the...
For strictly gaming you aren't going to see much of a performance difference between a 3700X and a 3600 so you could save money there.

Unless you really need a x570 feature, save the money and get either a B450, X470 or wait for the B550 boards. PCIE4 wont do anything for you gaming wise. (most 2000 mobos have updated BIOSs and if you are worried just get one of the mobos that support BIOS update with a CPU installed like the MSI Tomahawk.)

As far as Intel vs AMD, right now AMD is a better price to performance, with Intel squeezing just a little ahead in performance but IMO not enough to justify the price. AMD will probably be ending its support for their current socket towards the end of next year so both Intel and AMD are on the same boat.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

AP911

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013

As far as Intel vs AMD, right now AMD is a better price to performance, with Intel squeezing just a little ahead in performance but IMO not enough to justify the price. AMD will probably be ending its support for their current socket towards the end of next year so both Intel and AMD are on the same boat.

The reason I'm going for the 3700X instead of the 3600X is because, once I invest in the processor now, I don't plan on upgrading for atleast 5 years. So, in case 8 core processors do become a standard 2 years later, I wouldn't have to upgrade immediately. Same thing with my current build(built in May 2014), I went for the 4670k just to make sure it would hold good for 4-5 years.