Suggestions under $80

Status
Not open for further replies.

igorjrr

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Hello!

I'd like some suggestions, since I've been away from HDDs market for a while.
I'm looking for a cheap and reliable (!) HDD around $80 or less.

Seagate seems to have a lot of issues (is it right?). I saw people complaining after some days of use.
Western Digital seems good, but out of my spending range.
SDDs are too new and saw some people saying that lost everything after some time.

So far I found this, but no real reviews available:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145532 (is it a good brand?)

Any suggestion? At least some up-to-date information on brands/models around $80

Thanks!

Solution
I can't suggest any other comparable priced HDDs right now as Hawkeye is right...horrible time to buy.

On the other hand, deals like this are few and far between right now. Chances are, these are selling out to make room for a new model (e.g. my RMA'd WD20EARS 3Gbps was replaced with a WD20EARX 6Gbps by Western Digital). I can say that it's a pretty decent deal with the 7200RPM and 6Gbps rates; the only down side looks like the 32MB buffer, but with those speeds, it may not be much of an issue.

I did a little google'ing and didn't find much on this drive either, but I guess you can always fall back on the 3-year manufacturer warranty in the event that it does fail down the road. You should always have your data at least...

igorjrr

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

But I need it... Building a new machine...

skytanker2003

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I can't suggest any other comparable priced HDDs right now as Hawkeye is right...horrible time to buy.

On the other hand, deals like this are few and far between right now. Chances are, these are selling out to make room for a new model (e.g. my RMA'd WD20EARS 3Gbps was replaced with a WD20EARX 6Gbps by Western Digital). I can say that it's a pretty decent deal with the 7200RPM and 6Gbps rates; the only down side looks like the 32MB buffer, but with those speeds, it may not be much of an issue.

I did a little google'ing and didn't find much on this drive either, but I guess you can always fall back on the 3-year manufacturer warranty in the event that it does fail down the road. You should always have your data at least duplicated in case of failure anyway.

Not necessarily specific to this HDD and no date stamp to tell how old the information is, but here's an article to paruse before you buy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.