Question Suggestions welcome! I need a more tolerable machine.

Jul 17, 2019
Hello,
I’m finally at my limit and I cannot tolerate my machine anymore. I’m getting a new and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or thought about parts.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: don’t mind
Budget Range: let’s keep it under $7000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: programming, servers, chrome development, .net, typically need 4 instances of visual Studio open and running, 10-30 eo browser sessions, every 4 months I enjoy my time off work to generate terrain and other large rendering tasks, gaming the usual (Witcher 3 or shadow of the tomb Raider)

Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: currently have DDR4-2400 / PC4-19200 DDR4 x4 16gb crucial and x4 8gb G skill for a total 96gb. The G Skill is 4 years old and the crucial 2 years old. Don’t know if they will still be good for a new machine.

Do you need to buy OS: No, a spare sealed windows 10 oem next to me
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: nothing dodgy
Parts Preferences: intel i9 9900k and maybe Asus Rog Maximus Formula
Overclocking: Don’t care.
SLI or Crossfire: No, I do use a second gpu (Quadro) for offloading currently
Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080 x3 all use dvi

Additional Comments: it needs to be able to run Zoomtext or Dolphin SuperNova on 2-3 monitors efficiently alongside Black Desert Online or 4-5 instances of visual Studio with chrome dev tools running around 8gb on its own.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: my current system is driving me insane. I’ve always had trouble with computers not being able to sufficiently run what I need. I get consistent fatal crashes from a number of programs suffering from memory leaks (thank you event viewer) and I lose threads a lot. I’ve never had an average or decent or good gpu before and I cannot solidly run 2 visual Studio instances with chrome choking (and dying) at 5gb ram consumed (yes just by chrome) and with my screen magnifier on top of everything. Most think a magnifier doesn’t consume a lot, but they haven’t used one while running so much else. The magnifier is the root of one memory leaks and I often have missing threads from the magnifier pop up in visual studio while running servers., but I don’t have a lot of options that can individually magnify multiple displays.

Seriously appreciate any advice to finally build a machine that I can properly work on.
Thank you all.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With this list of requirements I am not sure why you are looking at consumer grade hardware. If you don't care about overclocking and want stability, go for a processor that supports ECC memory.

That would be Ryzen/Ryzen Pro (AM4:B450/X470/X570), Threadripper(TR2:X399), or Xeon (LGA2066:X299) from Intel.

That would mean getting new memory. Not much of a limit at this price point.

What about storage?

DVI is a bit of a dying breed, you'll have to get some adapter cables to run them off a recent GPU, they might have 1 DVI port, but typically zero. HDMI, DP, and DP over USB Type-C now.

I will suggest that you choose Ryzen 9 3900x over the i9 9900k. The extra cores will be really helpful in your multitasking. Plus, you will need more and faster RAM, as unmatched low speed will not do well in a top of the range build.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yCvPMZ
If your GPU is doing well, and supports the monitors, then this is a $3000 build. Otherwise, you will have to look into new monitors too. Just give the word and I'll update the above list with some monitors and a GPU.

Jul 17, 2019
With this list of requirements I am not sure why you are looking at consumer grade hardware. If you don't care about overclocking and want stability, go for a processor that supports ECC memory.

That would be Ryzen/Ryzen Pro (AM4:B450/X470/X570), Threadripper(TR2:X399), or Xeon (LGA2066:X299) from Intel.

That would mean getting new memory. Not much of a limit at this price point.

What about storage?

DVI is a bit of a dying breed, you'll have to get some adapter cables to run them off a recent GPU, they might have 1 DVI port, but typically zero. HDMI, DP, and DP over USB Type-C now.

Curious, suggestion. Appreciate the advice. I’m very unfamiliar with AMD architecture, but I am somewhat more familiar with the Xeon series, although, only as a coprocessor (e.g. Xeon Phi 3120A). I’ll look into the AMD processors, I hadn’t considered them before.
Figured I’d need new memory. Ah well.
I don’t use anything overly fancy for storage. Just a few 1Tb SSDs.
Hahah yeah I noticed that. I’ll have to get new ones eventually.

Jul 17, 2019
I will suggest that you choose Ryzen 9 3900x over the i9 9900k. The extra cores will be really helpful in your multitasking. Plus, you will need more and faster RAM, as unmatched low speed will not do well in a top of the range build.
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yCvPMZ
If your GPU is doing well, and supports the monitors, then this is a $3000 build. Otherwise, you will have to look into new monitors too. Just give the word and I'll update the above list with some monitors and a GPU.
Another curious suggestion. Should I expect a noticeable advantage with the extra cores in the Ryzen considering what I call a typical load?
That makes sense. I’ve never known much about RAM speeds.
Hahaha let’s just say I don’t have a gpu. The Quadro used to do just fine before I got a new job focused on work in visual studio, chrome, etc. I’ll have to get new monitors at some point. I do have a bunch of converter cables atm. XD my current gpu didn’t even have dvi ports.