Suggestions..

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Looking to upgrade my memory, GPU, and possibly the MB too (Not sure if I will have no choice to or not).

Currently have...

- ASUS M3N78 Pro MB AM2+
- Phenom II 455 Quad-core (Pretty sure)
- 4GB Corsair DDR2 RAM
- 680W Thermatake PS
- Nvidia 1G 9800 GT GPU

Suggestions appreciated. TY.

Need a budget. You won't need to upgrade the ram if you're not changing cpus. A different motherboard with ddr3 won't benefit you enough to spend the money. I would start with the video card. Then upgrade the cpu/board/ram all at once. Don't get those items piecemeal one at a time. The main reason is the 30 day return policy. If you get a new board and can't test it for awhile, then you're stuck with it if it doesn't work unless you rma it to the manufacturer, which can take weeks.

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Well let's say I had no limit. What would you recommend then? I can save a bit more to get it all at once.

bios file 1301 is the latest for your board: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3N78_PRO/#CPUS. With this file, you can use either version of the four core 965 phenom II. Sabre.pc.com had the 965 for $109. If you need to flash the bios, use your old cpu and download "ez flash 2" flash utility program. Disable any boot block and virus protection settings in the bios, and windows firewall. A small black windows should appear while flashing. Don't do anything while it's flashing; it will reboot or ask you to when it's finished.