Suitable CPU voltage

Feb 24, 2018
I overclocked my i5 6600k from 3.5 to 4.5 GHz and set the volt to 1.3
I also increased my dram frequency a bit. It ran well for two days but today I got a message saying last overclocking was not stable press f1 to......
What should I do? I'm new to overclocking

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
You have made 2 overclocks without checking stability so we can't tell if it's a CPU or a RAM fault.
Furthermore, we don't know your specs so...

In overclock you have to go step by step checking every time that what you've done is stable, then go further if you have some voltage and temperature headroom.

My advice :
RAM : go back to default.
CPU : Step down to 4.4 and test it with aida ou prime, for at least 2 hours.
If it crashes ramp up voltage a bit and repeat.
If it passes, you can try to ramp up your overclock and enjoy.

Rules that i apply :
Don't go beyond 1.35-1.4 V for daily usage
Don't go beyond 80-85°C during stress test.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
You need to find a good overclocking guide in order to understand the variables (IIRC, I used one by Tweaktown). Then take it step-by-step, and slowly. It takes some time but once you dial-in a stable overclock you can leave it alone. Make sure and save the settings in the BIOS, if you have that feature on your mobo.

Feb 24, 2018
Okay my PC specs are..
Motherboard: MSI Z170 gaming m5
Processor: Intel core i5 6600K @3.5 GHz
Ram: gskill trident z rgb 16 GB (8*2)
Cooler: Corsair H115i
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
And yes, I did overclock step by step. I didn't go for 4.5 GHz at the first try. And everything was pretty stable. I used coretemp for temperature and prime95 for stress test and did a few benchmark on cinebench. Everything went on smoothly. When I saw that it was stable at 4.5ghz @1.350V. (My CPU temperature never crossed 63°) I stopped there. It crashed after 2 days. I don't know what caused it and how to fix it.