[SOLVED] Suitable GPU For Consistent 100 FPS Gaming

Nov 5, 2020
Hi all,

I currently own two Asus VG248QE monitors and my current GPU is a GeForce GTX 660.

I'm looking to buy an affordable upgrade GPU for consistent 100FPS gaming.

Id be looking at spending between £300.00 - £400.00.

Can anyone make any suggestions on which GPU I should get?

Many thanks!

Solution
It's an Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
You'll get 100+ fps on fortnite and CSGO but any demanding title will drop a bunch to more like 60-80 fps with that old Ivy Bridge CPU and some games even lower fps. If you want to get the most out of those Asus 144hz. monitors you need to think about building a new system. Replacing only the video card is not going to get you where you want to be.
Hi all,

I currently own two Asus VG248QE monitors and my current GPU is a GeForce GTX 660.

I'm looking to buy an affordable upgrade GPU for consistent 100FPS gaming.

Id be looking at spending between £300.00 - £400.00.

Can anyone make any suggestions on which GPU I should get?

Many thanks!
FPS is mainly determined by the CPU and that info is then sent to the GPU for processing, so getting consistent 100 fps depends on what CPU you have. List your CPU.

It's an Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
You'll get 100+ fps on fortnite and CSGO but any demanding title will drop a bunch to more like 60-80 fps with that old Ivy Bridge CPU and some games even lower fps. If you want to get the most out of those Asus 144hz. monitors you need to think about building a new system. Replacing only the video card is not going to get you where you want to be.

Solution
Nov 5, 2020
Well, I mainly play Eve Online and with this card I'm mostly getting 60 FPS all the time.

144HZs on these monitors just ruins the colours, so 100HZs is a happy medium.

So, just trying to get a GPU that will play Eve Online at a steady 100FPS, although I understand the possible limiation of the CPU.

Well, I mainly play Eve Online and with this card I'm mostly getting 60 FPS all the time.

144HZs on these monitors just ruins the colours, so 100HZs is a happy medium.

So, just trying to get a GPU that will play Eve Online at a steady 100FPS, although I understand the possible limiation of the CPU.

It's not a "possible" limitation, it is incredibly likely that you'll find it impossible to hold a steady 100 fps with that CPU, regardless of the GPU you upgrade to. Unfortunate but true.

Thanks for your reply!

Can you recommend an Ivy bridge CPU that I could upgrade to?

Perhaps then I could buy a GTX 1060 or 1070 ..

Unfortunately, there is only one Ivy Bridge CPU that you can upgrade to, and that's an i7-3770k. It's the same in almost every way as your CPU, except its overclockable. It's not nearly enough; unfortunately, your only option for upgrading your CPU is to buy a new motherboard as well as a new CPU.

Nov 5, 2020
Thanks again for your reply.

Yes, I've been researching and can see that's the only CPU upgrade available with my socket ..

I'll have to give my setup a think through and decide which route to take.

Thanks once again for your time!

Drop the resolution in games to 720p and see what fps you get, you're then putting more onus on the cpu than the GPU and can see if a gpu upgrade will give you the fps you want.

Its not a great time to buy a gpu at the moment with the new cards released (even though they're not actually in stock anywhere)

Available stuff is massively overpriced because of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WNYZJ7Y?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Virtually the only card available in that price range that is actually worth close to its selling price at the minute (and its still £50 overpriced compared to what it sold for a couple of months ago).

Also it needs a good quality 650w psu.

With your setup a 1660 super probably makes more sense

https://m.cclonline.com/product/299...93/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-ZCJvlRS8fvhl0ZrdvjdY6g

Thats the only reasonably priced one that's actually in stock anywhere.

Nov 5, 2020
Drop the resolution in games to 720p and see what fps you get, you're then putting more onus on the cpu than the GPU and can see if a gpu upgrade will give you the fps you want.

Its not a great time to buy a gpu at the moment with the new cards released (even though they're not actually in stock anywhere)

Available stuff is massively overpriced because of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WNYZJ7Y?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Virtually the only card available in that price range that is actually worth close to its selling price at the minute (and its still £50 overpriced compared to what it sold for a couple of months ago).

Also it needs a good quality 650w psu.

With your setup a 1660 super probably makes more sense

https://m.cclonline.com/product/299...93/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-ZCJvlRS8fvhl0ZrdvjdY6g

Thats the only reasonably priced one that's actually in stock anywhere.

I dropped the resolution to 720p and I got between 100 - 130 FPS.

Thankfuly I already have an 850W PSU, so I could easily switch them over.

Thank you for the CCL link and yes, that does indeed look to be a better choice.

I think I will take the plunge and order it :)

Thank you for your most helpful reply!

TRENDING THREADS