danyyys

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
I am looking to upgrade my computer. The motherboard is Gigabyte Z87-HD3 and currently have 16gb RAM, Intel Core i7 and a Full HD 23" i2369Vm AOC monitor.
I would like to add a 4k monitor and a graphic card suitable for this spec. The candidate monitor will be LU28R550UQUXEN and it supports AMD Freesync.
I am not a gamer and would use this device mainly for pen testing which requires a lot of virtual machine processes and casually watching film on it.

Can you suggest me what graphic card that would be suitable for this setup?
Do I need an 8GB graphic card to support the 4k resulation? And can Nvidia cards work with AMD Freesync on monitors?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Solution
Please double check nVidia's support for FreeSync. I've seen some sources talking against it.
I don't have much experience in that. I choose nVidia because it has CUDA which can be utilized in Machine Learning.

Some sources I read earlier said FreeSync on nVidia only works with certain cables. Some say it won't work at all and nVidia has G-Sync.

as for 4K video playback support, 4gb seems sufficient, although not for gaming. I only say from my reading materials. I'm not a gamer nor I ever stared at 4k displays except in Walmart.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Can you suggest me what graphic card that would be suitable for this setup?
Do I need an 8GB graphic card to support the 4k resulation? And can Nvidia cards work with AMD Freesync on monitors?

What's your Power Supply, graphic cards have crazy variations in power consumption. That stretches from 100 to 350.

from here:
https://www.leawo.org/tutorial/best-and-cheapest-graphics-cards-for-your-4k-playback-1389.html

article suggest these cards: gtx1050 which is 4gb. it say GT 1030 is the minimum to support 4k resolution, that card has 2gb ram.

about FreeSync support on Nvidia:

it says: Since Nvidia drivers 418.x or so, FreeSync is now supported for all Nvidia GPUs above 1000 series.

so let's say you need a 1000Series+ card with 4gb memory.

danyyys

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
What's your Power Supply, graphic cards have crazy variations in power consumption. That stretches from 100 to 350
Thanks for your comment.
I have a Corsair VS 550W as my PSU.
Here is a list of my devices with estimated power calculation.
Please let me know if there is any suggestions about it.

Do I need to look into anything regarding compatibility? As long as there is physcially enough space in the case.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Please double check nVidia's support for FreeSync. I've seen some sources talking against it.
I don't have much experience in that. I choose nVidia because it has CUDA which can be utilized in Machine Learning.

Some sources I read earlier said FreeSync on nVidia only works with certain cables. Some say it won't work at all and nVidia has G-Sync.

as for 4K video playback support, 4gb seems sufficient, although not for gaming. I only say from my reading materials. I'm not a gamer nor I ever stared at 4k displays except in Walmart.

Solution