[SOLVED] Suitable Upgrades for my sytem

Apr 14, 2020
Hi, first time poster here, had my gaming rig in its current state for a while now and just recently added a H100i cooler.

Whilst at it I thought what else would be worthwhile upgrades/path to take with it, I dont have any issues on it currently but just thinking of keeping it semi up to date. I know the motherboard may be a potential weak point in regards to OC'ing. Anyway the spec is as follows....

Cpu:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Aio cooler:
Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE
Motherboard:
MSI A320M PRO-VD/S
Memory:
Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 8GB x2
Video card:
MSI GTX1070 Aero ITX 8G OC
Power supply:
CoolerMaster MPX6001ACABW 600W
HDD/SSD:
WD Blue 1TB
SK Hynix SL308 120GB
Monitors:
Acer predator X34A
Dell U2515H

Thanks!

Solution
Welcome to the Forums :D
my suggestions
motherboard to a b450 or better series
RAM Ryzen loves the bandwidth, my 1500x improved dramatically by running the RAM at its stock of 3000. I would look for some faster RAM.
IDK how old the system is but that PSU had a 3 year warranty and is a model I would not use outside of the warranty.
SSD'd have dropped in price while increasing in size, if the budget allows a larger faster SSD. the larger units are faster.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
my suggestions
RAM Ryzen loves the bandwidth, my 1500x improved dramatically by running the RAM at its stock of 3000. I would look for some faster RAM.
IDK how old the system is but that PSU had a 3 year warranty and is a model I would not use outside of the warranty.
SSD'd have dropped in price while increasing in size, if the budget allows a larger faster SSD. the larger units are faster.

Solution
Apr 14, 2020
my suggestions
Thanks for the suggestions :)
I was looking at different mobo's saw an Asus X470 prime I quite liked the look of, mainly asthetic reasons as it went with my black and white theme I've started off. Would this work with my other components? Also is a motherboard upgrade a big job?
Excuse the questions, I'm new(ish) to pc upgrades.
I'm not too sure myself how old the system is as it was bought second hand....would a bad psu cause any harm to other components?
So processor wise, is the R5 1600 still relatively decent by todays standards?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked.
1 should be fine, the new motherboard will just have more ports, features, and options.
2 the motherboard is the backbone of the system in that everything is connected to it, I suggest watching several youtube videos to familiarize yourself with the process beforehand, but if you can turn a screwdriver and disconnect cables you can do it. 👍 I will post some detailed grounding instruction for computer assembly at the end of this post.
3 the power supply is the food source, out of spec or bad power is akin to eating lard and sugar only. its not healthy and damage will be done. Cooler master PSU's are known for their mediocrity. They only sell a few good ones and the lite is not one of them.
4 I just upgraded to the 1500x a few months ago, before that was my trusty 955 black from 2009. for me your CPU is an upgrade. it really depends on your needs. do you need more power? the CPU and the GPU look well balanced to me.

Assembly grounding:
plug in the power supply to the wall. you can touch an unpainted part of the PSU (insert an unpainted unfinished screw into the PSU mounting holes and touch the screw as a grounding point) once you have grounded yourself you can now touch and assemble the parts of the PC.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, reground yourself again.
install the CPU into the motherboard and the RAM into the slots.
install the cooler to the CPU. install the motherboard into the case.
secure the motherboard down with the screws, make sure you remove any unwanted/needed mounts before securing the motherboard.
unplug the PSU and ground yourself again. install the PSU into the case and secure with the 4 mounting screws.
plug in the power cord and ground yourself again from now on after grounding, unplug the power supply cord from the wall.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
connect the power supply to the motherboard by the 24 pin and the AUX CPU power connector, install the GPU if one is selected, and install the drives with the supplied mounts in the case. connect the front panel connections to the case according to the manuals.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
if there are any other peripherals, like wifi cards or sound card install and secure now. verify all power cables are connected to the motherboard and the GPU if needed.
the system can now be booted and the BIOS adjusted if needed (refer to motherboard manual) then an OS installed. when you are sure the system will need no more working/tinkering you can install the side panel and close the case. you have now assembled a PC.
end canned rant

this was written earlier but with the videos you watched the grounding tips will work well.

Reactions: helper800
Apr 14, 2020
in order asked.
1 should be fine, the new motherboard will just have more ports, features, and options.
2 the motherboard is the backbone of the system in that everything is connected to it, I suggest watching several youtube videos to familiarize yourself with the process beforehand, but if you can turn a screwdriver and disconnect cables you can do it. 👍 I will post some detailed grounding instruction for computer assembly at the end of this post.
3 the power supply is the food source, out of spec or bad power is akin to eating lard and sugar only. its not healthy and damage will be done. Cooler master PSU's are known for their mediocrity. They only sell a few good ones and the lite is not one of them.
4 I just upgraded to the 1500x a few months ago, before that was my trusty 955 black from 2009. for me your CPU is an upgrade. it really depends on your needs. do you need more power? the CPU and the GPU look well balanced to me.

Assembly grounding:
plug in the power supply to the wall. you can touch an unpainted part of the PSU (insert an unpainted unfinished screw into the PSU mounting holes and touch the screw as a grounding point) once you have grounded yourself you can now touch and assemble the parts of the PC.
install the CPU into the motherboard and the RAM into the slots.
install the cooler to the CPU. install the motherboard into the case.
secure the motherboard down with the screws, make sure you remove any unwanted/needed mounts before securing the motherboard.
unplug the PSU and ground yourself again. install the PSU into the case and secure with the 4 mounting screws.
plug in the power cord and ground yourself again from now on after grounding, unplug the power supply cord from the wall.
connect the power supply to the motherboard by the 24 pin and the AUX CPU power connector, install the GPU if one is selected, and install the drives with the supplied mounts in the case. connect the front panel connections to the case according to the manuals.
if there are any other peripherals, like wifi cards or sound card install and secure now. verify all power cables are connected to the motherboard and the GPU if needed.
the system can now be booted and the BIOS adjusted if needed (refer to motherboard manual) then an OS installed. when you are sure the system will need no more working/tinkering you can install the side panel and close the case. you have now assembled a PC.
end canned rant

this was written earlier but with the videos you watched the grounding tips will work well.
Thanks so much for the knowledgeable replies, and for being patient with the noob questions!

I suppose I don't actually "need" to change anything right now as all the games I play run fine in 100Hz. It was more seeing what would be worthwhile to look at in the near future.

Going off the suggestions, I'm thinking PSU, faster RAM and mobo are the ones to look at.

Thanks so much for the knowledgeable replies, and for being patient with the noob questions!

I suppose I don't actually "need" to change anything right now as all the games I play run fine in 100Hz. It was more seeing what would be worthwhile to look at in the near future.

Going off the suggestions, I'm thinking PSU, faster RAM and mobo are the ones to look at.
I would get that ASUS motherboard you were looking at with a nice 2x8 gb kit of 3600mghz RAM. I would also replace the PSU with a Seasonic focus gold 650w or 750w. I would get that faster RAM and set it in BIOS to 3000mghz. The reason you would want to get this RAM is if you later on down the road decide that your ryzen 1600 is getting a little slow you could easily upgrade the CPU to a higher-end ryzen 3000s or possibly even the currently unreleased ryzen 4000s.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($140.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Total: $329.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-14 14:22 EDT-0400

Apr 14, 2020
I would get that ASUS motherboard you were looking at with a nice 2x8 gb kit of 3600mghz RAM. I would also replace the PSU with a Seasonic focus gold 650w or 750w. I would get that faster RAM and set it in BIOS to 3000mghz. The reason you would want to get this RAM is if you later on down the road decide that your ryzen 1600 is getting a little slow you could easily upgrade the CPU to a higher-end ryzen 3000s or possibly even the currently unreleased ryzen 4000s.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($140.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Total: $329.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-14 14:22 EDT-0400
Awesome, nice little build list for me to be going at there. Thanks for the help!

With a mobo change (Win 10) will I get away with plug n play, or will I need to wipe and do a fresh install?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I suggest a fresh install. the motherboard is not one device it is many, USB, audio, memory, PCIe... that one board has a ton of software connected to it throughout windows.
to prevent future conflicts I like to refresh the OS with every major HW change, and they do not get more major than the motherboard.

Reactions: helper800