Sun firmware drives on Intel platform

G

Hello Gurus,
I'm trying to use several Seagate SCSI drives with Sun firmware on an Intel platform with an Adaptec 19160 controller, and not having much luck. The adapter continually reports either "medium error" or "start unit request failed" upon startup. I've tried different cables with terminators, and am using unique SCSI Ids.
Is this likely the firmware causing these errors? Can it be replaced so that I can make use of these drives other than as paperweights? Seagate won't touch them because I bought through a 3rd party.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Ray Overton

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried just one at a time? Though I cannot comment about your drives specifically as you did not post the model numbers, typically sun firmware is nothing much more than standard seagate firmware with the sun logo embedded. I am running 4 sun firmware drives as we speak, however on a different controller. The firmware can be changed, but you need it functional first and then use Seatools enterprise edition software.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A word of advice, i think you would be better of posting this over at 2CPU.com in there forums, there are several People there I am sure could help you out.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

G

Ncogneto,
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it.

BTW, this disks are ST136403LC drives. I've tried one at a time, still no joy.

Ray

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never had that problem with former Sun drives. But I have had to change some jumpers, like the auto spin-up or whatever (can't even remember).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

TRENDING THREADS