Question SUPER bad lag on budget gaming pc

Feb 21, 2019
I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 :
intel core i5 8th gen 8300H
8 Gigs of RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB
128 SSD + 1 TB HDD
The issue here is that even on low graphics games like watchdogs (2014) lags a lot when the adapter isn't plugged in and when the adapter is plugged in it doesn't constantly lag but lags after a few mins . the cpu also goes till like 85-90
I gave a complaint to ACER but they replaced my motherboard and repasted the heating got a bit less like till 90 and that's okay but the lag never stopped and the guy doesn't understand me that the game is lagging .
BTW im from India that's why the guy doesn't understand

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Go into power options : "While on battery" settings. there will be options to slow CPU clock to conserve power/maybe other settings. Change it so the settings are best for performance and not power saving. Of course the battery time will be reduced but it will stop the laptop slowing components down on purpose.

90 Degrees isn't necessarily bad when under load it may only be a problem if the computer overheats and shuts down or starts to perform really bad. I think Intel can support up to 100 degrees just make sure you aren't blocking the vents.

That isn't the best laptop so you may always get lag depending on the resolution but it should definitely make it better :).

Reactions: zomatoto
Feb 21, 2019
Go into power options : "While on battery" settings. there will be options to slow CPU clock to conserve power/maybe other settings. Change it so the settings are best for performance and not power saving. Of course the battery time will be reduced but it will stop the laptop slowing components down on purpose.

90 Degrees isn't necessarily bad when under load it may only be a problem if the computer overheats and shuts down or starts to perform really bad. I think Intel can support up to 100 degrees just make sure you aren't blocking the vents.

That isn't the best laptop so you may always get lag depending on the resolution but it should definitely make it better :).
thank you for your response,
I know that it isn't the best laptop but at least good enough for watchdogs (2014) to run... after all a good cpu and a mid res graphics card should do all good for that .
Coming to the point I am using the best setting (ultimate performance )in power plan tried everything but nothing seems to work for that. Also the game is lagging (stops at a frame ) for like 2 seconds at times this isnt normal for this pc.
pls do respond if you have any suggestions that would do me good

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
thank you for your response,
I know that it isn't the best laptop but at least good enough for watchdogs (2014) to run... after all a good cpu and a mid res graphics card should do all good for that .
Coming to the point I am using the best setting (ultimate performance )in power plan tried everything but nothing seems to work for that. Also the game is lagging (stops at a frame ) for like 2 seconds at times this isnt normal for this pc.
pls do respond if you have any suggestions that would do me good
What Resolution/Settings are you running? It is also worth checking what background apps are running in task manager and perhaps stopping things that aren't necessary from starting on boot. You could also upgrade the RAM which may boost performance. Also, if not already installed there, try moving watchdogs to the SSD. As it is an open world game apparently SSD helps even in game as it allows it to load assets faster as you move through the world. (https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-do-ssds-affect-gaming-performance/)

Heat is the main problem with Laptops and thus you get stuttering.
you should always be plugged into the mains when gaming, as its more than just windows that controls power. Somethings are set in BIOS as well from what I remember.
Blast cool air as much as you can into the computer.
Sadly, as good as any laptop may be, they all seem to suffer from too much heat under extreme loads for periods of time, as everything gets warm and you only generally have a cooling fan on one area (cpu) and not on the other components that use a lot of passive cooling. This is where laptop coolers may help, but still not that much.

Feb 21, 2019
What Resolution/Settings are you running? It is also worth checking what background apps are running in task manager and perhaps stopping things that aren't necessary from starting on boot. You could also upgrade the RAM which may boost performance. Also, if not already installed there, try moving watchdogs to the SSD. As it is an open world game apparently SSD helps even in game as it allows it to load assets faster as you move through the world. (https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-do-ssds-affect-gaming-performance/)
Everything you said has been tried by me long before , it is currently in the SSD and there is no difference in performance
Boot time is around 7 secs so I don't think any startup apps are ruining the game ... when the laptop is plugged in it works better but still isn't upto the mark as per the specs
The resolution is 1920×1080(recommended)
V sync 1 frame
Max buffered frames 1
Overall quality low when not plugged in but still lags 😭😭😪 auto detect says medium but still lags
Ultra (auto detect ) when plugged in but there are a lot of fps drops and minor lags like 1 sec .5 secs etc..
Any help would do good thank you

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
Heat is the main problem with Laptops and thus you get stuttering.
you should always be plugged into the mains when gaming, as its more than just windows that controls power. Somethings are set in BIOS as well from what I remember.
Blast cool air as much as you can into the computer.
Sadly, as good as any laptop may be, they all seem to suffer from too much heat under extreme loads for periods of time, as everything gets warm and you only generally have a cooling fan on one area (cpu) and not on the other components that use a lot of passive cooling. This is where laptop coolers may help, but still not that much.
I'm plugged in usually but I wonder why it doesn't work without without the laptop plugged in (at low and even while it's plugged it it's not upto the mark according to the specs and it used to heat up a lot but the technician who had come told me to run the fans at max instead of coolboost and he also re pasted the thermal paste , heat has reduced while gaming now but the laptop lags soo much that it's frustrating the heck Outta me and now I also feel that my life lags😭😭😭
Any help would do good thank you