Super-cheap potato PC.

Seasver

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Hey,
Long story short, I no longer have a PC and enough money to build a proper one, but I've found some 2nd hand hardware that seems to do the job at least temporarily. I found Intel Q6600 for about $28 and two 9800 GTX's for $45 both. I have some DDR3 ram left, a 550W PSU and a hard drive, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Please don't judge me and say that with this ''old'' setup nothing will work etc. but rather attempt to point me in the right direction. I'm probably not going to be using this PC for a very long time, but I still need it to be at least somewhat good for what I'm going to do with it.
Now, if you know a better, similarly priced CPU like the Q6600 feel free to tell me. Same goes for the GPU's, if something similarly priced like SLI with 9800GTX comes up. I'm more than willing to buy used. Feel free to suggest motherboards too. With this build I hope to play CS:GO with more than 60fps? WoW with around 40-50? And hopefully some more intensive games like Amnesia, GTA 5 with about 30FPS?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
here is a list of gpu's that ranks them. makes it easier to see what card compares to what. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

the a10-6800k has built in graphics much better than the hd 6670. if you go that way, no need for the extra card. it is on par with an r7-240/50 built into the a10. it would not be a bad way to go as the cpu is a bit stronger than the q6600. and if you want to go with a second card, you can run an r7-250 in crossfire with the apu. it actually performs pretty well for such cheap parts.

i'd say the a10 is a better choice and just not use the hd 6670 but look into an r7-250 as a crossfire card with the built in gpu of the a10.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't see any new mobo's for that pc that uses ddr3 ram. here is a list of models that would work http://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#L=3

obviously i can't scan for used ones as easily as you could from local sources so i'll leave that to you :)

the q6600 is not that bad of a cpu still. i actually use one in an old system in my house with 4 gb of ddr2 ram and an r9-270. kids play all kinds of games on it fairly well. CS:GO should do well on it with a 750ti since it is just slightly weaker than the 270 i have in mine

as for the gpu, i'd go with a newer single card for similar money. prices are dropping on nvidia maxwell cards right now. here is a 750 ti for $87 after rebate and $107 before. would be much better than sli cards from much older generations. you may even be find one of these used pretty cheap as well.

after that you just need a case and then put it all together. you do have a windows key right? probably from the old system that died?? you'll need that.

Seasver

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Thanks for your reply. The biggest problem is that in my country products are pretty overpriced. For example, the 750 Ti is around $150. I already have a case and a windows key though. I'll wait for other replies too :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem. did not realize you're not in the US. but overall, i don't see an issue with a q6600 unless something better is just as cheap :) you've looked already so i assume this is not the case. a q6600 will make a nice super budget pc for you

Seasver

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I found similarly priced GT 630's and I could afford two, but will it give me a good increase in performance?

EDIT: I just realised I can get an AMD A10-6800K with a HD 6670 2GB and a Gigabyte F2A55M-DS2 for veeeryyy cheap from my cousin. Sorry but could you tell me if that will beat the above specs?

EDIT #2: Just read that I can't SLI the GT 630's so yeah.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is a list of gpu's that ranks them. makes it easier to see what card compares to what. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

the a10-6800k has built in graphics much better than the hd 6670. if you go that way, no need for the extra card. it is on par with an r7-240/50 built into the a10. it would not be a bad way to go as the cpu is a bit stronger than the q6600. and if you want to go with a second card, you can run an r7-250 in crossfire with the apu. it actually performs pretty well for such cheap parts.

i'd say the a10 is a better choice and just not use the hd 6670 but look into an r7-250 as a crossfire card with the built in gpu of the a10.

Solution

Seasver

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

The descision has been made then! Thank you for the blazing fast and detailed answers & coping with the fact that I'm a newbie. I really appreciate it :D