Super Flower Claims World's First 2-Kilowatt Power Supply

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

It is more the lack or a "neutral" that makes me wonder.
I mean its X and Y hot(120 per side) and your normal ground. I do not even know if computer power supplies are polarity sensitive.

Its not exactly hard to use a double breaker(pick the right amp rating) for this and the same 14/2 that runs in most houses is also good for 240 volts. You can get power tools that use 240 volts and you have to wire a plug in accordingly for those as well.

If you have a 15 amp circuit in the US, you wouldn't even be able to run this thing at max load without tripping the breaker...
yes. If you go boil the kettle to make a coffee you will defo trip the breaker if its on the same circuit (assuming you have a pc able to pull that kind of load). Most power boards would trip also.

InvalidError

Titan

Internally, universal-input (or manual input PSUs in the 220-250V position) put the line voltage directly through a bridge rectifier and dump that across the input caps. They do not care which side is live, neutral or if there is no neutral whatsoever; both incoming lines are wired as if they were live. That's why universal PSUs can usually also work across any two phases of a 120V L-N three-phase feed (208V L-L) as well.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
"Without the volt mod you should have been ok(would save about 200 watts across both cards.). You had to bypass the power monitor/limit on the card right?"

That's one of the things the bios mod does. I just keep upping the tdp until GPU-Z stops telling me the cards are throttling due to tdp. I could give them more too, if that greasy turd of a psu weren't dropping my core voltage by 50mv under full load.

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
gee I must be old ,I remember the 63 Watt PSs that came with the original ibm pc,might this be used for a file server?

InvalidError

Titan

I have an old PSU from a 8088 PC-XT clone in one of my junk boxes and it is rated 150W. I wonder how clean its outputs might actually be. I already know from frying a few school projects with it that the 5V output surges to at least 8V when coming out of a short and never used it again after that.

leeb2013

Honorable

or a heater, or a kettle, or portable a/c.......

mrmez

Splendid
Cool.
But given that a GTX 980, which has gotta be the fastest single card and only draws 165w... well... you could run 4 of them and a high end system off a decent 1Kw PSU easily.

mctylr

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Yes, as others have pointed out, this won't be available in North America (as in for a typical residential or light commercial 120Vac @ 15A wall socket).

Given that most data centres are twice as aware as general IT about "green computing" that I'm surprised to see Sun / Oracle has 2 kW+ supplies; I expected n-tier units maybe up to >= 2 kW total. I don't expect to see this in any server rack (even in a hydro or nuclear power plant).

I don't think there are enough yahoos in North America would buy them to make a NA 240 Vac version (as used for electric heaters, electric range / oven, electric hot water heater, and not your microwave) fesible, yet alone the legal liability of being seen as encouraging idiots to "hack" their electrical panels to use 20 Amp breakers and/or 240 V for the circuit to their PC's outlet, without replacing their in-wall existing wiring, or removing the other 120 V devices on the altered circuit. "Hack" as in to wilfully violate electrical (NEC) and fire safety code (NFPA).

Then again I'm surprised that even die-hard overclockers would have a desire for such a beast. I suspect they would be better off spending the equivalent cost of the 2kW supply on newer video cards and CPU for better performance per dollar returns.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
100-130 V is only used in US, Canada, Mexico, Japan and a few minor countries. The rest of the world (about 90% population) runs on 220-240V and sockets are typically rated at 10A or 16A. A 220V x 16A socket and even 10A ones can run this device with no issues at all.

Time to change to 220V, and while we are at it, adopt the metric system too ;-)

I do not think anyone said they would try to run 20 amps over 14 gauge wire. Anyone planning a 20 amp circuit will be running 12 gauge wire.
As for the swap to 220/240. 14/2 that is used in homes will actually take 220/240 @ 10 amps without issues(the wire is rated for 300volts already).

InvalidError

Titan

The cable might be rated 300V but the electrical code says white = neutral. If you put a 240V split phase circuit on a normal cable, the white "neutral" wire is now L2, 120V to ground. You are supposed to use a cable with black and red wire insulation for 240V circuits - physical communication that this cable should be expected to be carrying L1+L2.

InvalidError

Titan

The typical wiring scheme is to bring a cable from the breaker box to a ceiling light box and fan wires out from there. If you are going to paint or heat-shrink wires to mark your re-purposed cable, you would need to ensure the re-purposed cable has been adequately marked at every junction box where it is exposed and disconnected from anything else it may have used to be connected to that is not part of your intended 240V mod.

It is probably allowed by the more permissive electrical codes out there but I can easily imagine how it could go wrong, so I am guessing it is also not allowed in the stricter codes or has a bunch of extra conditions attached.

mctylr

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010

Yes the wire gauge (diameter) of the existing household wiring is fine for 240 Vac, but my point with modifying an existing circuit wiring to 240 Vac, is that the other outlets or hard-wired devices (e.g. light fixtures) on that circuit, would also receive 240, rather than the expected 120, unless removed. My point being that household wiring is not a point-to-point topology, but a series circuit.

I hope anyone who tried to alter their home wiring would know how to, hire a professional, or take the time to correctly learn to re-wire and/or isolate such a modified circuit. Based on the numbers of people who are killed or injured by electrical mishaps annually, I suspect that at least one or more people who would attempt to do such a modification would do so incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.