Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600W Power Supply Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
As much as these super powered PSU reviews are interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing more PSU's for the regular non 4-way Crossfire/SLI user. I think in July you guys did some 450W reviews? Wouldn't also mind a battle of the basement review for those cheap PSU's just for fun. Again, love these 1000+ Watt reviews, but maybe toss in some sub 600W stuff in there more often if possible. Love the depth you guys go to in your PSU reviews!

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Page 9 graphs shows a different PSU (Corsair CS850M) though they all link to the correct full list images when clicked.

80 PLUS certification occurs at 23°C only.

Tom's Hardware is testing in a hotbox at over 42°C. So how is that failing 80 Plus Titanium specifications when 80 PLUS Organization doesn't certify or even test at that temperature?

Kitguru.net measures efficiency at 35°C and the SuperFlower Leadex Titanium 1600W has no problem meeting 80 PLUS Titanium:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/superflower-leadex-titanium-1600w-review/6/

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
As much as these super powered PSU reviews are interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing more PSU's for the regular non 4-way Crossfire/SLI user. I think in July you guys did some 450W reviews? Wouldn't also mind a battle of the basement review for those cheap PSU's just for fun. Again, love these 1000+ Watt reviews, but maybe toss in some sub 600W stuff in there more often if possible. Love the depth you guys go to in your PSU reviews!

i personally cant see a reason to go lower than 650 watts, the most basic computer with a gpu may only use 50-60% of it at load, but the head room is valued by me far more than the cheaper outset cost...

i had a psu blow up on me... never again.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015

The next PSUs will be more down to earth, with sub-1000 W capacities

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
The Power Supply failed 80 Plus Titanium specifications at 50% (93.34% vs 94%) and 100% (89.61% vs 90%)
Page 9 graphs shows a different PSU (Corsair CS850M) though they all link to the correct full list images when clicked.

Already informed the editors responsible to fix this. Thanks!

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Ladies / Gents,

I actually have a requirement for 2200W, preferably Platinum spec.

I was hoping not to have to buy 2x 1200W PSUs, as the chosen supply will be sitting out in the open full time, and a single PSU simply means less mess / cabling.

Any ideas for me?

This is probably the closest you'll get with a top tier PSU. It's the Super Flower Leadex Platinum 2000W 8Pack Edition SF-2000F14HP (230V only). Probably EU only.

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=16&ID=119&lang=en

Review: http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/superflower-leadex-platinum-8-pack-edition-2000w-review/

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Actually the requirement is 1800W, without overclocking. I budgeted an extra 400W for overclocking & PSU headroom so I don't run it @ max all the time.

So it sounds like we have a winner, but unable to source that in Bangkok. Might be forced to import (never fun) as I see it available in Germany.

the above can do 2200 W. Have it on the test bench right now.

mrmez

Splendid
Certainly a declining market for PSU's over 1Kw, considering you could run 4x GTX 980's off 1Kw.
You'd have to be looking at more than 2x Titan Z's to need more, or... just about anything from AMD at the moment ;)

Eggz

Distinguished
Very thorough review!

I think it would be great to see PSU a roundup featuring the PSUs that run two-card SLI/CrossFire with Nvidia's/AMD's top GPU, but the PSU is of high enough quality to be at a lower Wattage rating than typically would be required.

It would show which PSUs are exceptional for their wattage rating.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
I am not so keen on roundups since this means less thorough testing (since if I fully test each PSU of the roundup it will take many weeks). However in every review I compare each PSU with many of its class and in essence the performance and performance per buck graphs of every PSU review provide all comparison info needed. With a quick look at the above graphs you can easily find out which PSU has better performance or which one has the higher perf per buck ratio.

Once I have more 115 VAC data results I will also provide and efficiency comparison data for the entire operating range of each PSU (thousands of possible load combinations) and not just for 14 different load levels.

Eggz

Distinguished
That would be useful, thanks!

As for the roundup, I agree that making it from scratch would be super time intensive. But you have a lot of work already done, and most people don't have access to the testing tools you have.

With all of the SFF builds popping up, I'm sure people would appreciate a rec list (or something like that) of the "more powerful than expected" PSUs. It's just a thought, though, because you'd know more about the practicalities of actually compiling something like that.

Great review, btw, keep'm coming! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.