Super Flower Unveils the World's First 80+Titanium PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

The Platinum certified Super Flower units based on the Golden King platform are generally excellent. This one should be as well. Good to see someone keeping Seasonic on their toes!

InvalidError

Titan

There is more than a dozen "mainstream" Platinum PSUs out there so if SuperFlower claims to be the *first* consumerized product in a new efficiency class, it would have to be Titanium.

wonder how much it'll cost, and whether it further minimizes ripples etc.
honestly moving from gold to platinum and now to Titanium probably will never giving you significant savings on the electric bill. so it'll come down to quality and pricing. and of course, marketing

wonder how much it'll cost, and whether it further minimizes ripples etc.
honestly moving from gold to platinum and now to Titanium probably will never giving you significant savings on the electric bill. so it'll come down to quality and pricing. and of course, marketing
For the most part, the biggest advantage is less heat generation.
Perhaps PSU efficiency is becoming a new braggable spec?
Realistically, the difference between PSU efficiency will make negligible affect on your power bill unless you are dealing with garbage <75% eff. supplies.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
That's not bad for a 1000w PSU. When you are running SLI or Crossfire and maxed out hardware, you can pay allot of money for wasted power over the year. I wonder what components they used and who manufactured them. Making high efficiency PSU is not easy. I can't wait for the 1200W titanium PSU to show up next. Maybe in a couple years.

D

Deleted member 217926

This power supply is "Titanium" certified on 220-230VAC. It's only Platinum on 100-120VAC. Still only 8 server power supplies had ever received the Titanium level before this model.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Cool, though from looking at the 80+ Wiki page I think those figures are for 230V, which won't be as much help to those of us in the US. I think on 110V it would be more like 92/94/90, which is still impressive.

These do not reach the Titanium rating @ 100~120VAC, even Super Flower says so. Its just marketing BS because its so close to 80+ Titanium which to be honest all Platinum cards are since its a 2% efficiency difference between the 2 specks. Move along nothing to see here. I dont feel like going to look but im betting the high end Platinum models from the likes of Seasonic are already within 1% of this @ 220-230VAC.

InvalidError

Titan

Probably a small fortune since MOSFETs and other semiconductors with exceptional switching and On characteristics tend to have exceptional price tags to match, not to mention the extra care in design and parts selection to get the most out of them as well.

But most of that is already required to get into gold/platinum territory so the premium otherwise comparable gold/platinum units might be $20-30.

InvalidError

Titan

Because "80+" is just the name of the certification guidelines and the metal name denotes the actual performance class within those guidelines.

A bit convoluted but nowhere near as bad as Intel model numbers.

I agree, I think PSU efficiency is in fact a braggable spec.

the heat generation can be negated if you have a case that allows you to position the PSU with the fan facing the bottom, blowing cool air up into the PSU, and exhaust goes out the back via positive pressure.

as for efficiency, don't bother worrying about it. you need to realize that the average price for electricity in the US is $0.10 per KILO-watt. I know this is certified on 220VAC but let's just say it's titanium for US as well. Now 80+ gold needs 92% efficiency at 50% load, 88% E at 100% L. for Titanium, it's 96% E at 50% L, and 91% E at 100% L. let's just take the largest difference (4% at ~50% load) for my calculation purposes.

now let's say you had the extreme system of two ASUS ARES (4-way 7970 crossfire), and an OCed i7 3960X. as the guys demonstrated here at Guru3D, the powerdraw does not exceed 1000W.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_3_way_sli_review,4.html

let's just call it 1000W for ease of calculations. the 4% difference in efficiency for 1000W would be 40W. now to reach a total of 1KW "wasted" because you bought a 80+ gold PSU, it would take something like 25 hours of continuous use. let's say you're a pretty hardcore gamer, and spends most of your freetime maxing out the system. you game 12.5hr per day and thus spend an extra $0.10 on power every TWO DAYS because you bought the 80+ PSU instead of this 80+ titanium one. there are 365 days in a year, divide by two rounds out to 183 units of $0.10 every two days = a grand total of $18.25 for the WHOLE YEAR. now over the lifetime of say a 7-year warranty period, you'll save a total of $127.75 which just MIGHT make up for the difference in cost between one of these and an 80+ gold.

now I don't know about you guys, but I game far less than 12.5 hr a day, and certainly don't do it every single day of the year. so yeah, I think I'll sit on my 80+ gold and feel pretty satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.