Super Flower's Upcoming Affordable Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be interesting to see a standarized modular and semi-modular design, with interchangeable cabling among brands, and some brands selling affordable modular PSUs with no included cables (for people who already have a cable set from older PSUs)

Aris, I hope you are able to obtain and review one as soon as they are available. Is it possible that a method has been found to better regulate crossloaded rails in a group regulated design?
I have to wonder if this is a "Corsair CX killer;" a budget PSU that, while nothing special, should be more reliable / cheaper than the CX.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

I don't read a great number of PSU reviews, but do remember OklahomaWolf of Jonnyguru.com stating that his opinion on Teapo capacitors has been improving over the last few years, particularly the 105C parts. With that in mind, coupled with the fact that a manufacturer with Super Flower's reputation is willing to incorporate them into a mass-market design, calling them garbage is uncharitable at best and flat-out wrong at worst.

In this case, I will put my trust in the company and believe they know what they are doing. I doubt they would be willing to lose their reputation over a low priced PSU. Of course, reviews will have the final word.

BTW, am I the only one who reads TEAPO as CHEAPO?

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Quote: " The bulk cap is of high importance because it deals with very high voltage (loosely regulated 380VDC bus voltage), which can easily shorten the lifetime of a low quality cap. "

??! The primary side high voltage capacitor quality makes less difference among all electrolytics in the average PSU, and especially in this simple design. For quite a while manufacturers even got away with using 85C rated models there, and not particularly low ESR. In this design it's only operating at line frequency, a pretty low stress job. That it's high voltage is somewhat trivial, merely thicker separator/oxide layer, the latter forming itself.

In order of importance for use of quality caps, first there are those on the 5VSB rail, primarily because a system may have load on that rail with in a soft-off state so the fan isn't moving air. Second, or first on a gaming rig, would be those on 12V rail since it tends to not only have high load but larger current changes from different CPU and GPU states.

These statements may be overgeneralizing and assuming a typical system load, but that is also what Super Flower is designing for with shared regulation.

Ultimately I might buy one of these PSU if cheap enough, but as mentioned above I would gladly pay $5 more for them to use polymer capacitors on 5VSB, 12V, and Jap. electrolytics would be acceptable on 5V and 3.3V.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I hope this isn't another Evga. Cuz that would mean it really is el-cheapo junk. Its the only way EVGA could compete with Corsair prices. Difference being, Corsair can field a superior unit at lower prices, because their market is world wide, making profit margins a little less important per unit. Theres already the GQ, GS and BQ units. Would this be the awaited BS unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.