[SOLVED] Super Frustrating USB Issues, Not Overloaded.

Dec 2, 2019
I couldnt find any thread online that fits my issue, so I am finally resorting to asking the question myself.

Im having an issue where half the time my computer gets booted up, the mouse and keyboard do not work, all other USB ports work. They flash for a second, so I have to assume the ports are getting power. No devices work on these ports. So I just fumble around and after restarting and changing ports many many many times, those USB ports will decide to randomly work again.

Why not just use different ports? Well, I tried, but the issue always migrates to the ports my mouse and keyboard are plugged into??? And thats what really throws me for a loop.

The best way I can describe it is like episodes. The issue comes and stays for a bit, then disappears as soon as it came.

This is a gaming rig I built myself about 2 years ago, built with a lot of care and precaution. I upgrade it every once in a while, and take care of it like it is my baby. It has never been abused, and everything else is 100%. So my assumption is that it is a driver issue, not a psu issue, but I could be totally wrong.

Thats enough of me rambling though, I could go on forever. If anyone at all could offer their help, I would deeply appreciate it. This has been bothering me for so long now. Many days I dont game because I dont feel like even bothering to fix it.

Warm Regards,
Josh

Solution
If you boot in to safe mode does it happen? I think, for example, if they work fine in safe mode that would point to a bogus driver somewhere causing trouble? Just a thought, I could be completely wrong

Did you initially or sometime in the past have a different gaming keyboard/mouse that you installed software for but now you're using a different keyboard/mouse?
Dec 2, 2019
Not sure if i'm correct but...

Have you tried using a different mouse/keyboard?
also
Have you tried using a USB hub? (or if your using one currently, try it without one)

I'm not sure if the USB hub thing will do anything different but using a different mouse and keyboard can tell if its a mouse and keyboard problem or a USB/computer problem.

Dec 2, 2019
What are the specs for this system (make/model of all components)?

Specs are:

Processor:
Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz
Overclocked to 4.8 GHz

Motherboard:
ASUS Prime Z270-A LGA1151

Memory:
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200 MHz

Storage:
Samsung 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB (V-NAND SSD)
WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB (HDD)

Graphics Card:
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK

Case:
Thermaltake Core P3 Tempered Glass Edition

Power Supply:
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition

Sorry for the late reply, long day at work. After tweaking around forever, I found out all of my USB 3.0 ports would fail, the ones straight from the motherboard. Strangest thing is that they just eventually all came on again.

Not sure if i'm correct but...

Have you tried using a different mouse/keyboard?
also
Have you tried using a USB hub? (or if your using one currently, try it without one)

I'm not sure if the USB hub thing will do anything different but using a different mouse and keyboard can tell if its a mouse and keyboard problem or a USB/computer problem.

I know for sure its not a keyboard and mouse problem because they work on other ports just fine and its unlikely that both of them would fail together, but I havent tried a hub, maybe I should invest in one.

Thanks COLGeek and Mason3k

Try connecting your mouse/keyboard to USB 2.0 ports instead.
You'll need USB 2.0 bracket to access those ports.

71j9RTk29pL._SX466_.jpg

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
If you boot in to safe mode does it happen? I think, for example, if they work fine in safe mode that would point to a bogus driver somewhere causing trouble? Just a thought, I could be completely wrong

Did you initially or sometime in the past have a different gaming keyboard/mouse that you installed software for but now you're using a different keyboard/mouse?

Solution