Question Super hot ryzen 2600x

May 24, 2019
Hello guys,

i recently bought r5 2600x with coolermaster masterliquid ml120 and i get idle temps around 45-55C and under load around 90C i have checked everything thermal paste is applied, fans are working, pump is working and the pump is working as it should i can feel hot air coming out of the Radiator . and yes i removed the plastic film on the CPU cooler. i tried re seating the cooler again with a new thermal compound, hell i even maxed out my fans and pump to 100% but nothing seems to work.

i use msi command center and ryzen master for hardware monitoring.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
My OC'd Ryzen 5 2600 Idles at 26 to 30C and maxes out around 55-56C after 3 to 4 hours of gaming with the Air cooler listed in my Signature.
What is airflow like in your case ?
I have 5 case fans running, 3 intake and 2 exhaust (running slightly slower) and my Room temp stays between 67 F and 72 F.

The 2600x should run slightly hotter than my CPU but I don't think it would be very much hotter if properly cooled.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
My OC'd Ryzen 5 2600 Idles at 26 to 30C and maxes out around 55-56C after 3 to 4 hours of gaming with the Air cooler listed in my Signature.
I have 5 case fans running, 3 intake and 2 exhaust (running slighlt slower) and my Room temp stays between 67 F and 72 F.

The 2600x should run slightly hotter than my CPU but I don't think it would be very much hotter if properly cooled.

i have 2 intake and 1 exhaust which is the AIO's i cant figure out what is wrong

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
This is pretty close to the stock stress temps i get with the wraith spire on mine. I wouldn't imagine that a 120mm aio performs much better than the stock cooler. You need to dial in negative voltage offsets on SOC and Vcore or dial in a 3.9 ish OC with fixed voltage. This will require lots of trial and error and stress testing. Or you could buy a better cooler. I don't think there are any hardware issues here.

Reactions: DMAN999

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I have 5 case fans running, 3 intake and 2 exhaust (running slightly slower) and my Room temp stays between 67 F and 72 F.

You have some more thermal headroom there my man! Let me guess...you need close to 100 mv to go another 100 mhz and your temps skyrocket over that.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I actually OC'd to 4.075, 4.1 and 4.15 GHz but to get those stable I had to set my core voltage to 1.35, 1.38-1.39 and 1.4V. The Temps definitely increased at those higher voltages but not to unmanageable levels.
The performance increase above 3.95 GHz was not enough to warrant the increased voltage and Temps.
I could easily run at 4+ GHz, but IMO the slight increase in performance is not worth the negative effects that running at the higher voltage/Temps would have on the longevity of my system.

My max Temps (under normal loads/gaming) with a 4.075 GHz OC were about 10C higher than my current OC Temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I actually OC'd to 4.075, 4.1 and 4.15 GHz but to get those stable I had to set my core voltage to 1.35, 1.38-1.39 and 1.4V. The Temps definitely increased at those higher voltages but not to unmanageable levels.
The performance increase above 3.95 GHz was not enough to warrant the increased voltage and Temps.
I could easily run at 4+ GHz, but IMO the slight increase in performance is not worth the negative effects that running at the higher voltage/Temps would have on the longevity of my system.
Yeah I've pretty much come to the same conclusion with pretty much every one of the ryzen chips I've played with. Probably 10 or so of them at this point. The exception was my 2700x which was an absolute beast with PBO and good cooler. It would clock itself down under full load and settle in at good voltage and temps for 4ghz. Turbo up to 4.2 - 4.35 when gaming was nice. The non x chips I usually just find the voltage/temp wall and stop there. Like you said it's not worth the heat and power for another 100 - 200 mhz.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
^ Exactly.
I bought my current 2600 with the full intention of OCing it to get to 2600x performance. And I'm happy to say that I achieved that goal without much effort.
My rig benchmarks as well or better than a stock 2600x in pretty much every Benchmark that I have run.
I am looking forward to the release of the Ryzen 3000's.
I'm thinking about getting a 65W 3000 series and seeing how it compares to the higher tdp version when OC'd.

Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
^ Exactly.
I bought my current 2600 with the full intention of OCing it to get to 2600x performance. And I'm happy to say that I achieved that goal without much effort.
My rig benchmarks as well or better than a stock 2600x in pretty much every Benchmark that I have run.
I am looking forward to the release of the Ryzen 3000's.
I'm thinking about getting a 65W 3000 series and seeing how it compares to the higher tdp version when OC'd.
I kept my Asus CH6 hero after moving on from the 2700x in anticipation of Zen 2. I've been running a 9900k in my personal rig for a while. I'm flipping it now and am going to stick the best compatible zen 2 chip in the CH6. I'm hoping the 12 and 16 cores will be there at launch and compatible with the older boards. The CH6 hero should be able to handle them. I'm worried they'll say x570 only for the 12 and 16 core parts though. I'd really like to see how divinci resolve runs with a 16 core and my Radeon VII. I'd also really like to not have to spend $250 on a new mobo.

Hopefully the non x lower watt OC prowess will continue. I'm worried that with the chiplet design the binning process is going to come into play a lot more this time around. I'm sure they'll still be good though.

Anyway, we're getting pretty off topic here.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS