Super low FPS

qmfosems22

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satelite U305-S2804 which has been upgraded to Windows 7.
I play games like Maplestory and LoL. When I play LoL with Gamebooster on and the lowest quality, the FPS is around 10 or 15 and is very choppy when it goes low as 6.
Will adding another 2GB ram into my computer help?
What can I do for it to work smoothly?

Solution
for $300 a new laptop might be tough to find a new laptop that would be good is anything with the amd a-series they do really good in gaming. For desktops same thing amd a-series are the way to go for gaming performance and low cost. I don't know if you are comfortable building your own or not but if you are a good amd A-10 based system with integrated graphics is good enough to play some mainstream games at acceptable frame rates, and you can build one for around $300-$400. if you want any more specific help there are tons of great articles and other threads around the site that talk about just that kind of thing.

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Did you try playing those games before you upgraded and did they run ok then? Based on the spec of the laptop you have it appears that it simply might not be powerful enough to run a game. Low fps is usually a result of not having enough graphics power. The bad news is playing games on your laptop might not be possible on the setup you have. Adding ram isn't going to help your frame rate too much.

qmfosems22

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
I did not play any games back when it was a Windows Vista. Also recently it has been saying to replace my battery if that matters by any chance. And if the increase of RAM can bring my FPS up to around 20 I would do it. The question is, will it improve it at least that much?

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Upgrading only slightly increases gaming performance from the frame rates you said you are getting wanting 20 fps is asking for a %50-%100 gain in performance. Ram only gets you about 50-10 percent at best depending on how bad your ram was before. If you have less than 4GB of ram currently in windows 7 i would however still recommend upgrading your ram anyway because windows 7 can be a bit of a resource hog, but just know that upgrading ram alone won't really speed up your games enough to make them playable. As far as the battery thing goes that could be slowing you down too because laptops do slow down performance when the battery is low in order to save power. Try plugging into the wall while you play and see if that gives you any increase. other than that however if you want to game you might have to look into a different computer.

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
for $300 a new laptop might be tough to find a new laptop that would be good is anything with the amd a-series they do really good in gaming. For desktops same thing amd a-series are the way to go for gaming performance and low cost. I don't know if you are comfortable building your own or not but if you are a good amd A-10 based system with integrated graphics is good enough to play some mainstream games at acceptable frame rates, and you can build one for around $300-$400. if you want any more specific help there are tons of great articles and other threads around the site that talk about just that kind of thing.

Solution