[SOLVED] Super low frames with 3080ti

Jun 2, 2022
Hello everyone,

I come begging for help. I bought this computer almost exactly 1 year ago with a 3060. Everything was fine with that but towards the end of April I upgraded to a 3080ti and it was fine for a month. Then about a week ago I started getting low frames (15-20 with spiking up to 40-50 and very inconsistent) and games became unplayable. I had my computer off for almost a full day and it was fine for almost a week but now I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried looking at articles, rolling back drivers, closing every program, fullscreen/windowed, even bumping down graphics to med/high it was struggling to get 60 fps. Does anyone have any ideas or guesses? I really appreciate the help.

Gigabyte Z590i AORUS ULTRA
Intel i9-10900KF @ 3.7 GHz
XPG Core Reactor 850W Gold
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal RGB 3600MHz 3600 MHz (max speed) 16GB (2 X 8 GB)
NVidia Geforce RTX 3080ti

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0
FPS-129
Score-3268
Min FPS-17
Max FPS-271
Render-Direct3D11
Mode-3840x2160 Fullscreen
Quality-High

Games tried-Fortnite, FFXIV, Cyberpunk, Halo Infinite, No Man's Sky

Solution
Yeah, that's some kind of cooling issue. Most likely either the mount has come slightly loose or the pump is no longer functioning properly. You're at 97 degrees even though the CPU usage looks to have been under 50%, which is abysmal performance and suggests significant throttling. What do the tubes of the AIO feel like when the CPU temperature is hot?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
sudden drops usually indicate a CPU bottleneck or driver issue. Seeing as you already done the driver troubleshooting, i have a suspicion the apps are either incorrectly utilizing your CPU, or your cpu is hitting some form of thermal throttle and capping the clock speed (usually means the cpu cooler is seated incorrectly or is just too weak). Can you please screen shot task manager while you are playing a game on the CPU tab, so we can see the CPU utilisation. Also would like to see your CPU temps, including peak temps and current temps while gaming. That should give us some indication on whats going on.

Also side note, turn off vsync, DLSS & Gsync and see if the fluctuation stops

Jun 2, 2022
Ran DDU, cleaned out all the drivers/installed new ones. Dusted it out what I could but I need to run and grab more air to clean up the radiator. I don't know what it is, but it's from a NZXT 510 May '21. Tried V Sync/DLSS off and no difference. Tried it against after blowing some out and with DLSS back on. It was more playable with less constant spike but would still go from 120 to 40 occasionally and the temp remained high.

Radiator
View: https://imgur.com/a/mI2IRml

Here's my CPU while in game.
View: https://imgur.com/a/qpew5RG

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, that's some kind of cooling issue. Most likely either the mount has come slightly loose or the pump is no longer functioning properly. You're at 97 degrees even though the CPU usage looks to have been under 50%, which is abysmal performance and suggests significant throttling. What do the tubes of the AIO feel like when the CPU temperature is hot?

Solution
Jun 2, 2022
I was able to clean it out more, cpu temp remains high but fps in game were a lot more stable and high. I'm going to try changing out the fan with Noctua NH-U12A 120mm on the recommendation I recieved. I had no idea to look at the CPU and that it could be a potential bottleneck there because of heat issues (or that I even knew the CPU was getting too hot). Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction and helping me.