[SOLVED] Super-low profile graphics card with HDMI?

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hello.

I am looking for a 'PC' for use only as a media player, so tiny and low power are the priorities as well as it having either a DP or HDMI output.

One I'm checking out at the moment only has a D-Sub (did I say it also had to be cheap...) and is in a mini-ATX-sized case but only around 60mm high. Allowing for the MOBO and its mounting posts, that would leave only around 55mm height max for a graphics card in a PCI Express 3.0 x16 .

Does such a card exist? It only has to deliver HD, so it doesn't have to be more powerful than Intel built-in graphics, but I'll need a way of adding the required HDMI or DP socket.

So, looking for a super-slim PCIe card with HDMI or DP!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Please link the one you're currently looking at so we all know what we're dealing with and what's available. Also please provide a budget. "Cheap" for one person means under $100. For another person it means less than the monthly mortgage.

Regardless, I always recommend building your own if at all possible. Going as "cheap" as I would, I came up with the following build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case ($104.30 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $487.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-13 06:50 EDT-0400

Small form factor as well as the required ports

-Wolf sends

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks folks.

By 'cheap' I do mean cheap - say around the £50 mark, quite likely for an Atom-powered device or similar. It really does only have to deliver HD streaming and be near-silent and low energy use.

This is the one I mentioned that doesn't even have an HDMI port... : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-COMPU...ICE-2019-DESK-TV-or-WALL-MOUNTED/223661666740

This isn't actually for myself, but for someone who is after "a nas server (media center) for roku". That's all it needs to be able to do, whilst also being low power consumption.

Am I going at this the wrong way?!

Thanks for all your help.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks, Wolf.

Having another look through the eBay listings, it's pretty clear that's the way to go - a small mini-PC, possibly fanless. It's all that's needed, and most have HDMI and will handle what my friend is after.

That i3 with 8GB and SSD you linked to is a cracker... :)

Many thanks everyone.