Question Super Old Maxtor 300GB 05, C5, C6 Caution help!

May 25, 2022
Hey all,

I've had my hard drive in my desktop for years. I randomly dump stuff on it and move stuff around. Literally this weekend, I finally got around to upgrading my NAS and was trying to copy files to it. My drive was slow and eventually I was unable to copy files. I ran Crystal Disk and this is my info:

Screenshot-2022-05-25-163132.png

I've tried cloning it to an image using Clonezilla but ended up getting a "failed to use partClone program to save or restore an image" error.

When I run Error Checking on Windows 10 it fails.

I saw some posts with people using some Seagate software on their HDDs and getting the Pending Sector Count fixed, but was wondering if there was anything similar for Maxtor. Any way to pull the data off the drive or do I need to send it to professionals?

Thanks for the help!

Given a rapid degradation in a drive's operation, a possible soft head crash might have occurred; if anything is still accessible, getting it retrieved/extricated elsewhere should be top priority (of course it would be no big deal if this were not a single source of storage for anything more important than storage for CNN reruns!), as doing disk checks and surface scans if/when these symptoms first occur often only obliterate the possibly precious few useful hours of semi-operational access time the drive might have had left....

May 25, 2022
Its not a question of IF it will die, but rather a question of WHEN.
Totally understand, which is why I'm trying to get my files off now.

I ended up running Victoria scan with remap selected, but kept getting a
remap error access is denied
error.

This pointed me to their website which mentioned disabling MBR. I ended up stopping my scan so that I could get this resolved.

After stopping the scan, I started getting errors when trying to access the drive
A device which does not exist was specified

I read some websites mentioning that this may resolve itself by restart (so I did).

Now my drive is no longer showing up in My Computer, and when I go to Disk Managment it asks me to initialize the drive:

Screenshot-2022-05-25-201744.png

I figured it was time to come back here for some guidance 🤦‍♂️

Any suggestions on next steps?