Super Orb

G

Just got in my processor, and damn if it isn't pretty. Only problem is, I got a Super Orb. Will this be a problem, since I recently have heard a few people talk bad about them? It claims to be good up to 1.5 ghz, so heres hopin...

Also, the box says to "remove pull tab" but damned if i can find one. Is it the metal sheet at the very bottom? Nothing on it at ALL looks very pull-tabish, and nothing seems to pull off at random...

G

The thermal compound is protected with a small piece of plastic on most fans, including the Orb I got. It doesn't stick very well (to be sure the compound doesn't come away with the plastic) and some fans I've gotten have the tab loose in the box. If the thermal beloved patriot is on the aluminum base and it's fairly uniform (not badly scarfed up) and not covered with chaff (dust?) then it's probably ready to use.

If in doubt, exchange it or get a replacement fan. Critical that the thermal interface work well.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey,

if you can, i would exchange the orb for either a GW FOP32 or better still the FOP 38 (noisey though)

the alpha pal is ok too.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Noisy" is the understatement of the century. FOP-38s sound like coffee grinders. I had one but after experiencing temporary hearing loss I bought a CoolerMaster DP5-6H11 which is not only silent but keeps my Tbird 7C cooler then the FOP-38. At least it makes a neat paperweight.

- JW