Question Super Resolution vs In-Game Scaler

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I'm curious if there is a difference in image quality as well as performance cost of using Super Resolution vs using the in game scaler to increase resolution.

For example in Far Cry 5, if I set the in-game Resolution scale to x1.5 while native at 1440p, I should theoretically get a 4K image. Same goes for if i set super resolution to 4K and load the game.

Does one have a benefit over the other?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
DSR is a method of doing what the game is doing, but for any application. However if you have an RTX card, you can use DSR to upscale using AI upscaling so it should theoretically result in improved performance at the same image quality.

Just recently went back to team red because I got a good deal on a 6950xt.

Speaking strictly for games, are you saying DSR would only have an advantage if inwas running Nvidia with AI Upscaling on?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
The advantage is DSR works with any game. But it should work better with AI upscaling.

At the risk of sounding blunt and I'm nit being unapprechiative, that's nit really answering my question. Specifically, is one better of the other in visual quality and/or performance.

I understand DSR has an edge that it will work on all games but that's that's not what I'm trying to establish.

At the risk of sounding blunt and I'm nit being unapprechiative, that's nit really answering my question. Specifically, is one better of the other in visual quality and/or performance.

I understand DSR has an edge that it will work on all games but that's that's not what I'm trying to establish.
There isn't practically quality difference. In-game rendering at a higher resolution and the original DSR is just FSAA.

DSR with AI upscaling should help improve performance for the same image quality.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER