Question Super slow boot after ram installation

Aug 15, 2023
I am having issues with Ram I believe. When I install the crucial Ram, it takes about 20 mins for the computer to boot. I get random crashes to a black screen. I was getting errors while running memtest86, I am not longer getting those errors. Here is the build with the ram:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6BQ234

When I have this ram in, the computer works great:

https://www.microcenter.com/product...op_Memory_Kit_F5-6000J3636F16GX2-RS5K_-_Black

is there any compatibility issues with the crucial or is it faulty ram?

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
It would seem you've bought two pairs of potentially dissimilar RAM, instead of a more difficult to find, kit of 4 matched DIMMs.

You can never guarantee that two kits of RAM will contain exactly the same memory chips and XMP SPD timings, even if they are from the same manufacturer and have the "same" part number.

Notwithstanding this potential problem, running 4 DIMMs is often harder than 2 DIMMs, due to additional loading on the Integrated Memory Controllers.

I assume you're running all four DIMMs at 4,800MT/s which isn't particularly fast by today's standards.

The first thing I'd try is relaxing the CL (CAS) timing from CL40 to CL42, or even CL44 and run MemTest86+ from bootable USB.

If that fails, I'd drop back to JEDEC standard speed, which might be around 4,000MT/s and gently work up from there, e.g. 4,200, 4,400, 4,600MT/s with manual RAM timing settings in the BIOS.

Check also to see if your BIOS is up to date.

Aug 15, 2023
It would seem you've bought two pairs of potentially dissimilar RAM, instead of a more difficult to find, kit of 4 matched DIMMs.

You can never guarantee that two kits of RAM will contain exactly the same memory chips and XMP SPD timings, even if they are from the same manufacturer and have the "same" part number.

Notwithstanding this potential problem, running 4 DIMMs is often harder than 2 DIMMs, due to additional loading on the Integrated Memory Controllers.

I assume you're running all four DIMMs at 4,800MT/s which isn't particularly fast by today's standards.

The first thing I'd try is relaxing the CL (CAS) timing from CL40 to CL42, or even CL44 and run MemTest86+ from bootable USB.

If that fails, I'd drop back to JEDEC standard speed, which might be around 4,000MT/s and gently work up from there, e.g. 4,200, 4,400, 4,600MT/s with manual RAM timing settings in the BIOS.

Check also to see if your BIOS is up to date.
I will try changing the timings.

Interesting enough I just ran memtest86 with all 4 sticks in and it was a pass. It then took 11 minutes for the computer to boot up.

The Bios is up to date.

TRENDING THREADS