Question Super slow Ethernet as well as Wifi.

May 12, 2019
Hi everyone! I am having a lot of problems at the moment regarding my internet. We have just gotten Ethernet in our home but my top speed using Ethernet (with a powerline because I am too far away for direct connection) is 30mbit/s download, and my wifi speed is about 5mbit/s download, instead of what I am actually supposed to get. I have tried googling around and finding solutions but have found nothing to work. I would be glad for any help about this issue.

My powerline also keeps disconnecting all the time for no reason.

Just for reference, I am supposed to have around 200-300Mbit/s download because of Ethernet.
My computer is also the only one affected by this internet problem in the house.

Your first step should always be to plug a ethernet cable directly into the router. You could move your pc if that is possible or string a long eternet cable over the floor. You need to determine if the PC has some issue or if it is just a issue with the powerline units. The older AV200 units would commonly only get 30mbps. The newer av2 units for most people get less than 200mbps on average. It depends a lot on the details of each house wiring some people get over 500mbps and other get under 100mbps. The wifi is the same issue. You want to try it next to the router to see if it is the distance or maybe a issue with the wifi.

May 12, 2019
Double check that your computer has only one network adapter enabled.

If you are using powerline then only the ethernet network adapter should be enabled.

Not the wireless adapter.

Thank you for answering!
Yesterday after I posted this, my Powerline decided to stop connecting at all so I have disabled it and going on wifi alone right now. It's still super low with only Wifi enabled.

May 12, 2019
Your first step should always be to plug a ethernet cable directly into the router. You could move your pc if that is possible or string a long eternet cable over the floor. You need to determine if the PC has some issue or if it is just a issue with the powerline units. The older AV200 units would commonly only get 30mbps. The newer av2 units for most people get less than 200mbps on average. It depends a lot on the details of each house wiring some people get over 500mbps and other get under 100mbps. The wifi is the same issue. You want to try it next to the router to see if it is the distance or maybe a issue with the wifi.

I will try to get a cable to connect directly to my computer and see what happends. We have a Powerline AV500 and from what I have been told they should be able to handle at least 200mbps.

The distance shouldn't be an issue atm because I live on the top floor and the wifi is on the floor directly below me, making me closest to it out of all the familys computers (3 in total). So my connection is rubbish while my brother who is the farthest away gets at average 100mbit/s download speed.

Sure you might get 200 plugging them into the same outlet if that is possible. They are half duplex so you in very best case could get 250mps. Lots of marketing hype on network gear designed to confuse people. Maybe I should call a 1gbit ethernet cable 2gbit because it can transmit 1gbit and receive 1gbit at the same time. With ethernet you can actually do that unlike poweline and wifi.

This site should give you some more realistic expectations. There is no way to predict what you will actually get in your house unfortunately.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view