Question super slow uploads only 1 PC

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Small Business network . I have 1 pc that has normal download speeds 90-100 mbps and basically no upload speeds at all .023 Mbps . I have tried everything including using a different Cat5 cable from a PC that has normal upload speeds . So i know for sure its not the network . Its something specific to this PC . I flushed DNS , Reset the IP , changed the adapter setting from automatically picking the Domain server and IP address to me setting them . Still nothing .

Can the NIC be causing bad upload speeds ... I dont know what else it .. I tried everything else .. the troubleshooter doesn't find anything wrong . i went as far as to run a cat from from a switch through the office directly to the NIC .

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated .

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you have a system image in place or availability to do a clean install I think that is where I would start, however I am not a networking wizard that would be able to tell you other aspects to be looking for. It seems unlikely to me that if you are using a completely different PC and cable to the location/troubled PC and the issue isn't following it would seem localized to that specific machine.

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Well incase anyone is interested the issue is the N.I.C . I ordered a USB to Ethernet Adapter and just like magic the upload speeds are back to normal .

I have updated drivers on the N.I.C ,uninstalled and reinstalled so my guess is its something Hardware related not Software of course I don't know for sure .

The big Question now is do I just leave the USB to ethernet installed and consider this case closed or do I keep digging and banging my head on the keyboard .

I havent decided just yet . Now that the problem is solved if this gives anyone a new idea of what the root issue may be please share .

As always thanks for all the great info …

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
So since i first posted this i have had 2 more workstations within the network do the same thing . Download speed is super fast upload speed is super slow. My first hint is the users complaining about emails in there OUTBOX.

I scanned for viruses ,malware and such . Since now it seems like its spreading . Each PC comes back clean .
Its seems like its 1 computer each month . First in FEB then March now April .

The N.I.C.s show to be working proper when i check on device manager. I also update the drivers just in case since we do have some older Pc ON SITE . There all Windows 10 pro . Could this be the updates causing this as a push to move to windows 11.

Anyway once i switch it over to a USB N.I.C everything works correctly . I would really like to find the really problem because switching to a USB N.I.C is really just a Band-Aid on a bullet hole .

Anyone seeing this issue?

Thanks again for any insight .

Ralston18

Titan
How many devices in the Small Business network? What sort of devices: computers, printers, storage (NAS), mobile?

Mix of wired and wireless?

Make and model: modem, router (or modem /router if combined)?

The Router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue.

Also check the router's configuration pages for allowed number of network devices, assigned IP addresses (dynamic and static), connected devices, MACs, restrictions, QoS, and similar configuration settings that impact individual systems on the router's network,

DHCP environment? Any Static IP's?

= = = =

Take a look at Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer on the slow upload systems.

Note: Process Explorer. Microsoft, free.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

The objective being to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time. Compare a fast upload to a slow upload PC to look for differences.

Run the tools while not uploading to get a baseline understanding of the test/slow upload PC. Then, leaving the tool window open and viewable, do some uploads as usual.

Again watch for changes.

And take a look at a slow upload PC before (if possible) using the USB NIC. Do that before (USB NIC not installed/ PC slow upload) and after (NIC installed, upload speeds okay) comparison.

I would also start comparing the results of "ipconfig /all" and "arp -a" for slow and fast upload systems. Do the same when the computer is slow and then again when fast.

Keep track of IP addresses assigned to each network device. Look for conflicts or some other IP address error.

Sketch out a network diagram showing all devices, IP addresses, MACs, and so forth. Map out how the problem is moving about and look at the diagram. May be some clue therein.

See what you can find.

Be methodical, keep notes, use the diagram. If you have not already done so then write down as much history as you can remember.

Key is to discover what is different (or becomes different) about any PC that starts having slow uploads. And becomes via whatever means, a fast upload PC again.

My thought is a IP address conflict of some kind. Possibly related to a DHCP IP address that would be moving around amongst PCs on a network. Sooner or later comes into a conflict again.

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
How many devices in the Small Business network? What sort of devices: computers, printers, storage (NAS), mobile?

Mix of wired and wireless?

Make and model: modem, router (or modem /router if combined)?

The Router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue.

Also check the router's configuration pages for allowed number of network devices, assigned IP addresses (dynamic and static), connected devices, MACs, restrictions, QoS, and similar configuration settings that impact individual systems on the router's network,

DHCP environment? Any Static IP's?

= = = =

Take a look at Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer on the slow upload systems.

Note: Process Explorer. Microsoft, free.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

The objective being to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time. Compare a fast upload to a slow upload PC to look for differences.

Run the tools while not uploading to get a baseline understanding of the test/slow upload PC. Then, leaving the tool window open and viewable, do some uploads as usual.

Again watch for changes.

And take a look at a slow upload PC before (if possible) using the USB NIC. Do that before (USB NIC not installed/ PC slow upload) and after (NIC installed, upload speeds okay) comparison.

I would also start comparing the results of "ipconfig /all" and "arp -a" for slow and fast upload systems. Do the same when the computer is slow and then again when fast.

Keep track of IP addresses assigned to each network device. Look for conflicts or some other IP address error.

Sketch out a network diagram showing all devices, IP addresses, MACs, and so forth. Map out how the problem is moving about and look at the diagram. May be some clue therein.

See what you can find.

Be methodical, keep notes, use the diagram. If you have not already done so then write down as much history as you can remember.

Key is to discover what is different (or becomes different) about any PC that starts having slow uploads. And becomes via whatever means, a fast upload PC again.

My thought is a IP address conflict of some kind. Possibly related to a DHCP IP address that would be moving around amongst PCs on a network. Sooner or later comes into a conflict again.
I really appreciate your detailed reply . I have not had the time to work on this so it finds its way to my backburner but it happened again today so i am getting on it today and will be staying until i get it sorted out .

Its a terrible thing that I'M once again scar patching a fix by using a USB NIC .
As far as the Info you requested roughly 20 Workstations , A few small printer but those are attached directly to the workstation using it . One main office printer , 2 Blue print printers , One NAS, and all our phones or VIOP . So from the wall check into the phone then into the PC .

We have 1 server I am running 2 Hyper V drives One that acts as the Domain and holds a good majority of the shared folders the other specifically dedicated to QuickBooks .

We do have a wireless router but nothing is really connected to it besides personal phones and the odd laptop or tablet here and there , I also have a DVR connected to the network so my boss can check the cameras from his phone .

Anyway thanks again for your reply I am going to print it out and get myself started ,
If my break down gave you any other ideas please let me know . I will update if i come across anything .

Best

Ralston18

Titan
Late thoughts:

Make and model USB NICs? Are they directlly installed in a USB port on the host computer? Versus connection via a USB extension cable...

Before booting/use feel the NIC(s). Then, later, after the NIC has been in use for awhile carefully feel the NIC again. It may be very warm or even hot.

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Using the USB NIC is the fix . Normally the Ethernet comes out the wall jack into the VOIP phone and second CAT6 out the phone into a Normally installed NIC in the workstations .

When this first happened I thought I had a bad NIC . So to keep the user working until i could change out the NIC i used the USB to NIC . When that worked perfectly i thought for sure that's the issue . That weekend I replaced the nic and still had the same problem .

Then like i said above its happened to 4 more PC's as of today . No specific time or date no specific time period in between .

So far i have tried replacing the NIC , I have tried bypassing the phone , I have tried updating the Nic Drivers , I have moved the PC to the wall jack that a known good pc was on , also tried swapping phones , I have tried setting the IP address myself and disabling DHCP. I don't know why but my gut feeling is something with these phones . Or I'm telling myself that because I haven't solved it and the phones are beyond my control .

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
So i just read something on another site and when i tried it the uploads speeds were back to normal and matching the download speeds without using the USB to NIC.

The solution was to go into the NIC advanced settings and disable the large send offload (ipv4) and large send offload V2 (ipv4)

Now im curious if this is just another scar patch ? Why would a setting like this work for 10 years and out of no where cause the download speeds to crash over night .

I'm really interested in hearing from any members about this . I'm going to do some reading on large send offloads . I would really like to figure out the cause of the issue and how to solve it properly . I already have a scar patch oi can use . This one just doesn't cost 14 bucks for the USB NIC adapter ,

If i find something while i am reading about large send offload i will update this post so we can learn something new everyday . Thanks everyone .

Best

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I'm been here after hours the last two nights trying to figure out what's causing this to happen so I can figure out if just disabling the large send offloads is an actual fix or just another scar patch . I'm thinking its another scar patch because I have Workstation's with good upload and download speed while its enabled .

i want to find what's rolling around my network causing the issue in the first place .
I mapped everything out . I'm using wire shark to do trace backs . i am comparing workstations unaffected by this issue to the 4 or 5 that are affected. I'm moving workstations that are affected to places that had an unaffected workstation. Changing IP address. Everything that was suggested to me in the great post above plus whatever i can think of that makes sense and i still haven't come up with any concrete scenario. i don't know why but i really have a feeling it has something to do with these VOIP phones and i contacted the provider so I am waiting on a call back from a higher level of support .

Anyway if anyone in this community has dealt with this in anyway please leave a comment . You never know it may be what helps me actual solve this problem instead of scar patching like i have been doing since this started . In the meantime i will keep trying and documenting and updating this post if i figure anything out because that's what this community is supposed to be here for .

Thanks again everyone who has viewed or commented... it all matters

Last edited by a moderator: