Question Super Speed USB warning notification that is false

Jan 15, 2021
I am getting an unusual false message about USB 3.0 ports. My motherboard has several USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports. It also has a USB type C port. I also have a PCIe 4x Startech 4 port USB 3.0 card. On the card each port has a dedicated bus.

When I plug in any USB 3.0 device into my motherboard ports, I receive a notification in Windows, "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a Super Speed USB 3.0 port." I am confused. When I plug in the same device to the dedicated startech card, I do not receive the error message.

I have tried using multiple different 3.0 devices including a flash drive, 2 HMD VR headsets, and a 4k camera.
I have tried changing bios settings. XHCI handoff. I have enabled/disabled. No noticeable difference. Tried enabling/disabling USB Legacy mode. Same, no difference.

My understanding is that USB 3.0 does not have a driver. I have downloaded all drivers from the manufacturer website Gigabyte.

I downloaded the application USB Device tree viewer. When I plug in the Logitech Brio I receive the warning, but using device tree viewer it shows the device is connected via USB 3.0. I can also chose 1920x1080 at 60fps, which is only available at 3.0 speed. When I plug the same device into a USB 2.0 slot, 1080p is only 30fps and the device tree viewer shows 2.0 speed.

So, I can verify that the device runs at 3.0 speed, but windows throws this warning every time I plug in any USB 3.0 device or restart the computer. What gives? I don't have a lot of devices plugged into USB. I get the message with only 1 device plugged in. I can't rely solely on the startech ports because some devices do not work with the controller chip.

My specs

Gigabyte Z390 Pro
Intel i7 9700k
32GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro (legit license)

I am getting an unusual false message about USB 3.0 ports. My motherboard has several USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports. It also has a USB type C port. I also have a PCIe 4x Startech 4 port USB 3.0 card. On the card each port has a dedicated bus.

When I plug in any USB 3.0 device into my motherboard ports, I receive a notification in Windows, "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a Super Speed USB 3.0 port." I am confused. When I plug in the same device to the dedicated startech card, I do not receive the error message.

I have tried using multiple different 3.0 devices including a flash drive, 2 HMD VR headsets, and a 4k camera.
I have tried changing bios settings. XHCI handoff. I have enabled/disabled. No noticeable difference. Tried enabling/disabling USB Legacy mode. Same, no difference.

My understanding is that USB 3.0 does not have a driver. I have downloaded all drivers from the manufacturer website Gigabyte.

I downloaded the application USB Device tree viewer. When I plug in the Logitech Brio I receive the warning, but using device tree viewer it shows the device is connected via USB 3.0. I can also chose 1920x1080 at 60fps, which is only available at 3.0 speed. When I plug the same device into a USB 2.0 slot, 1080p is only 30fps and the device tree viewer shows 2.0 speed.

So, I can verify that the device runs at 3.0 speed, but windows throws this warning every time I plug in any USB 3.0 device or restart the computer. What gives? I don't have a lot of devices plugged into USB. I get the message with only 1 device plugged in. I can't rely solely on the startech ports because some devices do not work with the controller chip.

My specs

Gigabyte Z390 Pro
Intel i7 9700k
32GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro (legit license)
is your bios up to date and do you have latest drivers from website for your mobo?