Super strange behavior of “Drive C” in “Windows 7”

Jun 30, 2018
“Orbit Downloader”, will download files into my second separate hard drive which is my Drive D, except that they end up taking up the Drive C space! (only 22 gigabyte has remained on Drive C)... as soon as I delete the “D:\downlaod” folder, Drive C’s space is increased back again. Fortunately I have also a third separate hard disk attached to my computer and it is called Drive E. Again if I choose it as the download location in “Orbit Downloader”, the same thing happens again. Also it doesn’t matter if I choose another folder on any other random drive too. It is always Drive C which takes the burden and as the download progresses, has its space equally filled up and when the downloaded files inside the specified download location of the “Orbit Downloader” are deleted, its space increases up equally again. I did a “Disk Cleanup” and deleted all the “Restoration Points” too to no avail…
Honestly as an experienced user, I have never seen anything like this in my decades-long experience with computers as a user… I am just perplexed!!!! and when I am this much perplexed I don’t expect anyone else to be able to solve this for me too but it is still a free try so I put this question in here, hoping maybe someone may have some deep knowledge about what may be going wrong here..
Thank you very much in advance…

Update:
Sorry the problem was not actually a problem!!!!!!! It was only the way computers work at first place. The “Orbit Downloader” would use the Drive C as a dumb space to put the temporary large files but after the downloads actually finished, the Drive C space was enlarged again. It is basically how all these programs work.
Nothing strange but just some facts.
The Drive C was an SSD and my Windows 7 loves to use it for any kind of application it can! No objection…

Solution
Solution:
Don't use any of these "download managers". I've not found one yet that was worth the drive space they take up.

https://download.cnet.com/Orbit-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10600926.html
From cnet, a few years ago (2013):
"Orbit Downloader makes it easy to download lots of files, but it's not really worth all of the junkware it packages with it. There are almost a half-dozen different programs and toolbars this download will try to add. Even the program, itself, is riddled with ads for other programs you don't want. The small boost in features isn't enough to justify this download."

And if cnet is saying that, it must be pretty bad.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
have you searched your C: drive for a specific file to see if somehow there is a shadow copy of it there? never seen this before either but think that's where i'd start looking.

seems like it is being saved in both places yet somehow linked together in the file index. i am not familiar with orbit downloader and wonder if it is somehow not fully taking over the download and the normal windows download function is also working creating duplicate files.

perhaps try a different download manager and see if the problem persists. can at least narrow it down to the software if possible. there are a million options out there to try that work well.

and i so feel your problem getting an answer. been doing this a long time as well and if i can't figure it out myself, it is usually so random and obscure i can rarely get anyone who understands and can help :)

USAFRet

Titan
Solution:
Don't use any of these "download managers". I've not found one yet that was worth the drive space they take up.

https://download.cnet.com/Orbit-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10600926.html
From cnet, a few years ago (2013):
"Orbit Downloader makes it easy to download lots of files, but it's not really worth all of the junkware it packages with it. There are almost a half-dozen different programs and toolbars this download will try to add. Even the program, itself, is riddled with ads for other programs you don't want. The small boost in features isn't enough to justify this download."

And if cnet is saying that, it must be pretty bad.

Solution