Super System Build - Need Input from Everyone - $3-4K funds

scarp_luva

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hello Everyone,
I am going to be building a new system within the next couple of weeks and would like some of your expertise. There are a couple of components that need to be included (but are flexible) such as: processor must be either e6600, e6700, or x6800. The graphics card(s) must be nvidia and 512 or better. This system, keep it mind, will be a multi-monitor display either two dell 20 or 24 inch displays, but leaning toward the 24, so I am assuming dual graphics cards in sli would be benifical for the lcds. I also have a Sony 40 inch HDTV LCD that will most likely be used to play games. I am somewhat of a light gamer, but an extreme multi-tasker and would like to have 4Gigs of RAM. Please give me any input, and it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time! :lol:

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Will you be installing Windows XP on this machine or upgrading to Vista when it is released? Or a Beta of Vista? If you are sticking with XP, stick with 2GB of RAM.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you're just a big-time multitasker (enough to require 4gb RAM seems quite heavy) and not that much of a gamer then maybe waiting and spending money on a Kentsfield in a while would be a good idea.

If you want to build now, then get a 6600, 2gb RAM and a 7900 - that covers all the bases you wanted with the most sensible parts in each category.

Get another 2gb RAM next year with Vista.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
This system, keep it mind, will be a multi-monitor display either two dell 20 or 24 inch displays, but leaning toward the 24, so I am assuming dual graphics cards in sli would be benifical for the lcds.

Actually, it would be detrimental. SLI does not support dual displays. If you want to go big, get a 30" display or something ridiculous like that. Except, that would be about half your budget.

Thrstbster6

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Hell you can multi task with a Semperon with 4 gigs of ram how fast multi tasking depends on what processor. I would go with a 30" Apple Monitor over Dell LCD's If you must go dual display then I would go with an ATI card vs Nvidia. Hooking up HDTV monitor go with an ATI AIW or Some comapny that starts wit han H some one here can help me with the name Haupange or something like that for HDTV and just a normal Video card. IF your doing high graphic/video editing then ATI FireGL series would be best for you

scarp_luva

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I would consider Radeon if it is beneficial for my tasks, just prefer Nvidia.
I will be running XP, but will probably load beta Vista on a secondary drive and will upgrade completely when it is released. Also, extreme multi-tasking may have been somewhat exaggerated, but I will playing approximately 4-8 poker games simultaneously, surf the web, play music or watch a movie, etc, etc. The rig is really for multiple real money poker tables and I will have dual monitors, not just one 30' monitor, as I have a sony 40inch hdtv lcd already. Thanks again everyone

scarp_luva

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I will be using the system for music creation as well, but I am a newbie to it and will be taking it slow in the beginning.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I will be using the system for music creation as well, but I am a newbie to it and will be taking it slow in the beginning.

Multi-core CPUs are very useful for music creation. What sort of music are you thinking of creating? (Also what software/hardware/mics are you going to use?)[/code]

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
why not wait a bit and get Quadcore? When C4d comes out, at the least, x6800 will be way cheaper. By the way , IMO ATI is better with multi-media...

playing approximately 4-8 poker games simultaneously, surf the web, play music or watch a movie, etc, etc.
That says "widescreen" to me.
How about dual widescreen 20" Dell 2007WFP? Cover your movies and the poker tables too I betcha. And about the same cost of a single Dell 2407WFP 24". Any chance of going beyond dual screens - like say triple or quad screens? As mentioned before SLI or Crossfire isnt meant for multiple individual screen setups like you're considering. But each video card you're likely to consider can handle two monitors easily. I'd suggest something in the middle range such as ATI 1900XT or nVidia 7900GT just in case you want to throw a game on the computer at some point. Otherwise something in the ATI 1600 or nVidia 7600 range will do just fine.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I say wait and get a quadcore, especially with the amount of money your talking about and the task you want to perform. You don't need a top of the line video-card unless you really want one, since you don't seem to do anything remotely graphics intensive.

Music creation wise, are you planning on recording into your computer or just fiddling around with stuff people already made. If your doing former, than a Creative E-mu card or a Lynx or a studio card will suit you, although they cost quite a bit. Otherwise, onboard sound is fine... but you have 4k, could always at least get an X-FI plat.

Wait for quad core, then we'll talk.

nonfatnonfat

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I will be running XP, but will probably load beta Vista on a secondary drive and will upgrade completely when it is released. Also, extreme multi-tasking may have been somewhat exaggerated, but I will playing approximately 4-8 poker games simultaneously, surf the web, play music or watch a movie, etc, etc. The rig is really for multiple real money poker tables and I will have dual monitors, not just one 30' monitor, as I have a sony 40inch hdtv lcd already. Thanks again everyone

I don't think anyone that has posted is a hardcore online poker player. I think you should build a PC specifically for playing online poker only. Those hand tracking programs can be serious memory hogs. Go with a E6400, 2gb ram and a single X1900.
Build a second PC for your other PC activities.

I don't see any advantage for you to wait for the intel or amd quad cores.
You have more than enough in your budget to consider dual Zeon 5150 Woodcrest or dual Opteron 280 Troy with workstation motherboards.

Without knowing if the software you want to use gains any benefits from 4 cores vs 2 cores I'd say the smart bet is to go with the E6700 in a 975X motherboard.

scarp_luva

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
nonfatnonfat Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:29 am Post subject: Re: Let me clarify a little....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scarp_luva wrote:

I don't think anyone that has posted is a hardcore online poker player. I think you should build a PC specifically for playing online poker only. Those hand tracking programs can be serious memory hogs. Go with a E6400, 2gb ram and a single X1900.
Build a second PC for your other PC activities.

Great point nonfatnonfat. Please everyone remeber that this will primarily be a poker rig with light game playing. I really only play FPS's here and there and only the great games. As for two systems, it is not a bad idea and have thought about it, but for now I am leaning toward one. I would like to get a kentsfield, but 6 weeks is kinda a long time to wait and I have been waiting for a long time now to build this thing. I could upgrade to a kentsfield when it comes out and take the duo out and build another system with it, may make the most sense.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Since nobody seems to give a detailed list ill take that task to myself.
Well split these in two parts, one for the build right now, and one for when Vista arrives.

Get a E6700.

Asus P5B Deluxe. Its BIOS updates have unlocked the multipliers and given it extra overclockability. It will support quad-cores once the time comes.

GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) CL4, one of the best RAM around. It will overclock to incredibly high speeds due to the CL4. (yes, only 2 gigs for now)

X1950XTX, ATI has much better image quality than nvidia and this is simply the fastest DX9 card in the world.

two Seagate 7200.10 360GB in Raid 0 configuration for maximun performance.

X-fi Platinum sound card. If you want the ultimate edge in sound get the X-fi Elite, but I dont think its worth the premiun price. Might wanna ask the audiophiles in the sound card forum about this.

OCZ GameXstream 700W. Very well priced PSU and it might be a little overkill, but its better to be sure for future upgrades.

The case should fit your needs for looks and cooling.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
And the second part should be getting a pair of DX10 cards when theyre avaiable, along with a copy of Vista and the other 2 gigs of memory. The reason why you shouldnt go with 4 gigs right now its because it will very likely be overkill for anything you could do and not even Windows XP Pro 64bits can handle it efficiently because the OS simply has too many bugs.
Try to keep up with the RAM quality when itll come the time to upgrade.

You should probably pick up a good HSF with that build so you can overclock like you should. Look into the 120mm height HSFs.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
no one should oc,some people just do,to try and squeeze out every last bit of performance.
saying people should oc is saying everyone should risk invalidating warranties,and for that matter 4 stix in dual channel with the right memory can make a world of difference,as compared to two..
if it were a matter of waiting ,id consider 4x512 for memory
the difference on my dads pc from 2x 512 to 4x 512 was astounding.
and since hes a multi tasker,id recommend 4gb.4x1gb will set him back 700-900dollars at the top end of the performance chain,500 to 600 on the mid range.

Every enthusiast should OC. Only the idiots that rise up voltage end up with damaged parts, the ppl that do alot of research on how to get the best performance for their money never have damaged parts.
Adecuate cooling, alot of research and some patience are the only things needed to ensure that you will get a killer system for a fraction of what it would have costed without OCing.

the difference on my dads pc from 2x 512 to 4x 512 was astounding.

No wonder since he was doubling his RAM...

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
4 x 512 is not recommended. Filling up all 4 banks in general is not recommended. Why?

Because it forces you to run at 2T command rate, which theoretically cuts your memory's ability to recieve instructions in half. I'd say that makes up for the increase in bandwidth, doesn't it?

That's why a lot of "enthusiasts" choose 2 x 1 GB for 2GB instead of 4 x 512. Just my 2 cents/pence.

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Yes, I ment the Core 2 Quadro. The first time I heard about it was on some thread around here, and he called it " C4Q". It kinda got stuck in my head...

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Meh. It's technically not fair to say that...for some reason my RAM refuses to run at 1T...and I only have 2 banks full.

But I'm at college and I don't feel like taking apart my computer to reset the CMOS in case I screw something up, or even overvolting it to see if it needs more juice-pusher to run stable.