[SOLVED] Super weird gpu problem(i think)

Aug 22, 2019
Hey guys i have this super weird problem with my Desktop PC. My PC performance is inconsistent. When i say inconsistent i don't mean that the frame rate jumps all over the place. When i boot up my PC it will either run games at the expected fps or it will run a lot slower. It is slower more often than fast.

I started noticing this problem recently when i have been playing games that are more demanding such as wolfenstein youngblood and battlefield V. For reference when i get a good boot up wolfenstein youngblood will run at around 150-160 fps and won't drop below 100fps. But on a bad boot wolfenstein will run at 100fps and frequently drops below 60fps. For battlefield V it is the same, for good boot i get around 120fps, but for a bad boot it frequently dips below 60 fps. This is 1080p and max settings for both games. And the wolfenstein youngblood fps(slow and fast) is recorded at the same exact area, fighting the same exact enemies, just to make sure it wasn't a laggy level.

My Specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6GB
SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 540MB Read/520MB Write
HDD: Forgot the brand but it's 2tb
RAM: 2x8GB T-Force Vulcan - Grey 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS Ryzen Motherboard
PSU: Corsair Rmx Series RM550X V2 550W - 80 Plus Gold - Full Modular PSU

My Current fix for this problem is to keep restarting my PC and running Wolfenstein Youngblood until i get good FPS. The FPS will stay good until i shut down my PC. And i get a lot more bad boots than good ones. I tried self diagnosing the problem using Msi Afterburner to monitor my CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. I found out that on the bad boots my gpu temperature never goes above 60c and while on the good boots my gpu temp hovers around 70c(This is for Wolfenstein Youngblood).I do have prefer maximum performance on in the NVIDIA control panel, and i put maximum performance on windows 10 battery thingy aswell. I feel like the gpu temp might be the problem, as it might not be pushing itself for some reason. I was hoping i could get some input into fixing this problem, as restarting multiple times, even on a ssd can get quite frustrating.
Thanks

Aug 22, 2019
Thanks for answering. My games are on HDD and OS on SSD. My hardrive is Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive. I just did a run on a bad boot of Wolfenstein Youngblood and my cpu usage is around 30%, sometimes spiking to 50%. The cpu temp seems to stay around 50-60c. The ram usage is about 8000mb.

I just did a reboot to test ram and got a good boot. I also noticed that the cpu usage is closer to around 50% with the temps hovering around 60c for a good boot. This is still all on the same area of wolfenstein youngblood and offline singleplayer mode.

Aug 22, 2019
Yea my HDD is very old, it was my father's. I used Crystal Disk Info to check my drive, i don't know what a lot of the stuff means but both drives health status says good. I have done scans recently with windows security. My motherboard drivers are probably not up to date, i have never updated it since purchasing. Could you link me a good guide for motherboard driver update.
Thanks

Aug 22, 2019
Hey Phaaze88 i wanted to thank you for the awesome advice you have given me. I followed your advice and updated my motherboard chipset and BIOS. Turns out my BIOS was running on quite an outdated version which might have been causing the problem. Since the updates i have had 4 straight good boots in a row and zero bad boots, so i would consider the problem solved.
Thanks again!