News Supercomputing icon warns that China could have the world's fastest supercomputers

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The phrase "Supercomputing Icon" in the headline immediately had me thinking like...

240_supercomputer.11ee7c613b.jpg

Heh, but I knew it must be Jack Dongarra. He seems to pop up in the news quite regularly.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What is amusing is how something like this gets folks riled up. These "rankings" change all the time and it generates competition and innovation.

Instead of getting so parochial, tech enthusiasts and professionals should be excited to see how these technologies will eventually enter the mainstream.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
tech enthusiasts and professionals should be excited to see how these technologies will eventually enter the mainstream.
Except, instead of giving us NVLink and InfinityFabric links, Nvidia and AMD have gone the opposite direction and removed SLI-like capabilities from consumer GPUs.
: (

Also, we no longer get consumer GPUs with HBM or fp64, now that they've both forked their GPU architectures into separate HPC/AI and consumer product lines.

Let's not even get started on networking. Supercomputers are using technologies like infiniband, but even 10 Gig Ethernet still isn't quite mainstream (finally getting there?).

HPC and datacenter tech is cool to read about, but it's becoming increasingly specialized and it feels like the trickle-down effect is breaking down. Even the recent server SSD form factors are desktop-unfriendly, like E1 and E3 families, which limits opportunities to snag some good ebay deals on used ones.

Pretty much the only area where I'm holding out hope for a datacenter technology to trickle down is CXL.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Except, instead of giving us NVLink and InfinityFabric links, Nvidia and AMD have gone the opposite direction and removed SLI-like capabilities from consumer GPUs.
: (

Also, we no longer get consumer GPUs with HBM or fp64, now that they've both forked their GPU architectures into separate HPC/AI and consumer product lines.

Let's not even get started on networking. Supercomputers are using technologies like infiniband, but even 10 Gig Ethernet still isn't quite mainstream (finally getting there?).

HPC and datacenter tech is cool to read about, but it's becoming increasingly specialized and it feels like the trickle-down effect is breaking down. Even the recent server SSD form factors are desktop-unfriendly, like E1 and E3 families, which limits opportunities to snag some good ebay deals on used ones.

Pretty much the only area where I'm holding out hope for a datacenter technology to trickle down is CXL.
SLI/Crossfire was a miss in the end and the market didn't really adopt it, else it would have continued to evolve.

Not all tech will make it to the mainstream, as you pointed it out. Nor should it for most users. The need simply isn't there or it isn't financially suitable for a consumer market.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
SLI/Crossfire was a miss in the end and the market didn't really adopt it, else it would have continued to evolve.

Not all tech will make it to the mainstream, as you pointed it out. Nor should it for most users. The need simply isn't there or it isn't financially suitable for a consumer market.
Yes, I agree with you on most points.

IMO, the main exceptions are:
  • Datacenter SSDs - last year, I got a sweet deal on a new Intel/Solidigm U.2 2.5" SSD, which is a great form factor because they run hot and drive cages tend to be well-ventilated. Because the bottom had fallen out of the SSD market, I got that new 4 TB PCIe 4.0 drive for about $300 from an authorized dealer with 5-year warranty!
  • GPUs with good fp64 performance. The 5-year-old, $700 Radeon VII had almost 2x the fp64 TFLOPS and about the same memory bandwidth as both the RX 7900XTX and RTX 4090! I know of some people who actually made use of it and are quite disappointed not to have anything comparable among newer consumer GPUs.

As for the rest, we're pretty much talking about a niche within a niche who'd have any real sort of home use for them. I'm not too worried about them.