News Superfast 4TB SSD is Just 9 Cents Per GB: Real Deals

Feb 23, 2023
Please update this story. When anyone clicks on the link, it takes you to Newegg yes but the price is actually $399.99 USD, and does not include heatsink.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Raid 0 on these ssd with desktop cpu will be a disaster. People do raid 0 with nvme ssd when have a 32 core cpu and need tons of data to process. Editing a 8k footage from a Red camera
Last time i have worked with a red 4k. Lost a day just to take off the data. 3 days to get work done because the storage sucks.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
Please elaborate why RAID 0 + SSD is a good thing.
That's easy, if you look at the benchmarks you can see that... oh, wait, we need the benchmarks first.
Raid 0 on these ssd with desktop cpu will be a disaster.
That's just an opinion. It needs actual benchmarks to know instead of suspecting.

You can be wrong, or right, but on any case, we need the benchmarks to know how much wrong or right you are.

And no, you cannot point at older benchmarks with older hardware.

Reactions: Amdlova
Is time to benchmark one large M.2 SSD against 2 half size in RAID 0
RAID 0 (striping) means increasing the chance of failure for each drive you add. 2x drives have double the chance of a failure of one, 3 drives have triple chance etc. Striping only needs one failure to fubar the whole partition.

I mean back in the day I had XP on 2x 10k rpm raptors - that was bonkers quick to boot. Not sure I'd notice RAID0 these days on an O/S drive.

Reactions: PEnns and Amdlova

USAFRet

Titan
That's easy, if you look at the benchmarks you can see that... oh, wait, we need the benchmarks first.

That's just an opinion. It needs actual benchmarks to know instead of suspecting.

You can be wrong, or right, but on any case, we need the benchmarks to know how much wrong or right you are.

And no, you cannot point at older benchmarks with older hardware.
I don't know about you, but I use my system for doing things, not looking at artificial benchmark numbers.

Even in the earliest tests of SSD + RAID 0, the benchmark numbers were huge.
The actual user facing benefit, not so much.

Can you point us to any independent test whereby SSD (of any make/model/size) + RAID 0 brings an actual benefit to typical user use cases.

NOTE: This is NOT counting server farms or big database servers. And again, not simple benchmark numbers.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Chalabam. He's simply saying there is no data anywhere for running SSD drives in RAID. Everyone immediately jumps on his case stating "there's no benefit blah blah blah".

The guy just asked for some data. You stated he is wrong for wanting data.

Wanting more data is never wrong.

USAFRet

Titan
Chalabam. He's simply saying there is no data anywhere for running SSD drives in RAID. Everyone immediately jumps on his case stating "there's no benefit blah blah blah".

The guy just asked for some data. You stated he is wrong for wanting data.

Wanting more data is never wrong.
No, I'm NOT saying he is wrong for wanting more data.
Quite the opposite.

But this is a standard PCIe 4.0 drive. Just large, and relatively cheap.

Just that RAID 0 + SSD has never been shown to give any real user facing benefit.
Benchmarks DO look great though.

USAFRet

Titan