[SOLVED] SuperFlower PSU For Cheapo PC (Or Just Get A Cheaper PSU) ??

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi,

my new cheapo PC will consist of a budget ASRock B450m-Pro4 Motherboard........8GB Crucial (2400mhz or 2666mhz) RAM.......Crucial MX500 (500GB) SSD...........Ryzen3 3200g CPU........no graphic card since i do not use it for gaming at all.....

there's 2 Superflower PSU models going for the same price.......the GX Pro is semi-modular and that seems to be the only difference..........i'm most concerned with durability so which one likely to last longer ??

or perhaps i can get a cheaper brand PSU since my PC is so cheap anyway ??

LEGION GX PRO 650W (https://www.super-flower.com.tw/prod...ID=129&lang=en)

LEGION HX 650W (https://www.super-flower.com.tw/prod...ID=133&lang=en)

Solution
hi,

my new cheapo PC will consist of a budget ASRock B450m-Pro4 Motherboard........8GB Crucial (2400mhz or 2666mhz) RAM.......Crucial MX500 (500GB) SSD...........Ryzen3 3200g CPU........no graphic card since i do not use it for gaming at all.....

there's 2 Superflower PSU models going for the same price.......the GX Pro is semi-modular and that seems to be the only difference..........i'm most concerned with durability so which one likely to last longer ??

It's the same power supply with...
hi,

It's the same power supply with different cabling. They should last the same all other things being equal. If you have a case with a window side panel get the semi-modular for aesthetics unless your case has a power supply shroud get the cheaper non-modular model.

Solution

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
It's the same power supply with different cabling. They should last the same all other things being equal. If you have a case with a window side panel get the semi-modular for aesthetics unless your case has a power supply shroud get the cheaper non-modular model.

many thanks for your reply......

i thought both were the same till someone compared the photos of both units' back grilles on their website..........there are some difference......

that person told me the GX Pro is based on an older Leadex model so should be slightly better than the HX.........but yet both are the same price.....

in any case, i emailed Super Flower to ask which is supposedly better - hope they can give me a definite answer......

many thanks for your reply......

i thought both were the same till someone compared the photos of both units' back grilles on their website..........there are some difference......

that person told me the GX Pro is based on an older Leadex model so should be slightly better than the HX.........but yet both are the same price.....

in any case, i emailed Super Flower to ask which is supposedly better - hope they can give me a definite answer......
The semi-modular model is slightly bigger due to the additional components and circuitry for the modular cables inside the unit. Other than that I could find no difference.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
The semi-modular model is slightly bigger due to the additional components and circuitry for the modular cables inside the unit. Other than that I could find no difference.

i think with prices betwee nthe 2 being so close, any difference would be minimal.......

what's the pros and cons of a semi-modular model ?......apart from being neater-looking.....

i think with prices betwee nthe 2 being so close, any difference would be minimal.......

what's the pros and cons of a semi-modular model ?......apart from being neater-looking.....
That's it, just aesthetics. Aside from the motherboard and CPU cable that are permanently attached, you only use the cables you need. The potential downside, if you can call it that, is that people come here frequently asking what to do because they lost their modular cables.

Problem is, cables are not the same from brand to brand at the PSU port end of the cable, so you can't interchange or buy generic cables from Amazon or Newegg. You have to have the cables made for your unit.

Perfect example of this is the semi-modular unit you're looking at. The new Super Flower models have those 9-pin ports that nobody else has, or will have probably, since they're attempting to patent them. Don't lose the leftover cables, you may need them some day.

Reactions: worstalentscout

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
That's it, just aesthetics. Aside from the motherboard and CPU cable that are permanently attached, you only use the cables you need. The potential downside, if you can call it that, is that people come here frequently asking what to do because they lost their modular cables.

Problem is, cables are not the same from brand to brand at the PSU port end of the cable, so you can't interchange or buy generic cables from Amazon or Newegg. You have to have the cables made for your unit.

Perfect example of this is the semi-modular unit you're looking at. The new Super Flower models have those 9-pin ports that nobody else has, or will have probably, since they're attempting to patent them. Don't lose the leftover cables, you may need them some day.

many thanks indeed for your detailed explanation......

i don't think i'll need those cables anyway since my pc is gonna be and stay basic.....

lastly, should the fixed cables from the PSU burn out or they just stop working.......can the modular cables be used to replace those fixed cables ?

many thanks indeed for your detailed explanation......

i don't think i'll need those cables anyway since my pc is gonna be and stay basic.....

lastly, should the fixed cables from the PSU burn out or they just stop working.......can the modular cables be used to replace those fixed cables ?
No but I would not worry about that. It's more likely that an internal component would fail before a cable, but Super Flower makes some of the best power supplies available. The fact you're looking at them for a power supply tells me you have very little chance of having any issues.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
No but I would not worry about that. It's more likely that an internal component would fail before a cable, but Super Flower makes some of the best power supplies available. The fact you're looking at them for a power supply tells me you have very little chance of having any issues.

many thanks again......hope durability will be good......

so since the fixed cables can't be replaced by modular cables.......then getting a full modular PSU with all modular cables would be better idea perhaps ?

many thanks again......hope durability will be good......

so since the fixed cables can't be replaced by modular cables.......then getting a full modular PSU with all modular cables would be better idea perhaps ?
Modular cables really only accomplish one thing and that's to give your build a cleaner look since you only use the cables you need. That's fine if your case has a glass side panel. Other than that it really doesn't matter. Many people come here because they lost their extra modular cables and need them now, so you have to make sure you don't lose them. You can't use other brands or generic cables.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Modular cables really only accomplish one thing and that's to give your build a cleaner look since you only use the cables you need. That's fine if your case has a glass side panel. Other than that it really doesn't matter. Many people come here because they lost their extra modular cables and need them now, so you have to make sure you don't lose them. You can't use other brands or generic cables.

roger.......roger......many thanks once again

TRENDING THREADS